My 13 month old has a stuffed up nose and can't sleep during the night. I have applied vicks baby rub under his nose and put a humidifier on during the night. He is still having problems sleeping.What else can I do for him?

chula9306

Asked by chula9306 at 4:47 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One thing that always works for me is a pair of freshly boiled eggs. If you have quail eggs, it might work even better. Boil the eggs, wrap them in a cloth (I use a thin washcloth) and apply to his nose closer to the eyes (now, try to avoid the eyes and make sure the eggs are wrapped securely so they don't burn the skin!). By warming up the nose, you will help the air passage to open up. If in doubt, try it first on yourself so you know how to work it around.
    I would also recommend a saline solution to moisturize the stuffy nose and a good nose aspirator (BabyComfyNose Nasal Aspirator is great, as well as Nosefrida The Snotsucker Nasal Aspirator; the rest of them are junk). After the nose is cleared up, I'd apply a drop of olive oil in the nostrils to protect them from drying and crusting at night. Olive oil is very healthy and soothing by nature, so it's perfectly safe if applied gently and sparingly.
    I hope this helps!
    CrazyMumOfTwo

Answer by CrazyMumOfTwo at 5:13 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I'd be very very careful about using vicks at that age.....one thing that worked for my children was cutting up an onion and putting it beside their crib / bed. It might not smell the prettiest in the morning but it gave my kids a full nights' sleep.....
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:45 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• That saline solution for the nose that charliebean wrote about works wonders. I think it's called Little Noses and you can find it in the baby section or in the health section like at Target or Walmart.
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 9:38 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My kids' pedi's office suggests propping the pillow up and using Benadryl if you have to.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:21 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Thank you all for your great suggestions!
    chula9306

Comment by chula9306 (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2010