child obesity

there was a documentary about it on television, and blaming society for more kids being overweight

what are your thoughts?

san78

Asked by san78 at 7:09 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• School lunches are another huge problem. They are terrible in most places. The government requirements on this are terrible and completely unhealthy. The requirement for breakfast? 540 calories. Not up to, not in the vicinity of....but 540 calories. Can't tell you the last time my kids had a 540 calorie breakfast. Seriously.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 10:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Ultimately parents have control over what's being brought home from the grocery store & which restaurants they frequent. Genetics do play into this as well. We just need to encourage good food choices, and more physical activity. Setting the example & doing things with the kids to combat the constant advertising of sugary & fatty foods aimed at kids is also important. (No I'm not opposed to toys in the happy meals) Easier said than done, I know. That's why so many of us make New Years resolutions to lose weight. It's an uphill battle for some, but a battle worth fighting & winning.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:16 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• IMO, the last 2 generations of parents did not understand nutrition. Think about me growing up....all kinds of "conveniences' were being marketed: TV dinners, boxed mac/cheese, hamburger helper....and my mom thought it was great. If we could get back to "natural" (not necessarily organic) foods, in their original forms and do away with all the add-ins I think we would be healthier. Also, in my area, parents are afraid for their kids safety and do not let them run around outside as I did when I was a kid....I'm 52. I used to ride my bike all over creation until dark when I was 8-13/14 or so. Kids are not allowed to be out of sight anymore. And for good reason around here.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 7:54 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I have been accused of starving my son, he is too skinny. A lot of it is genetic and a lot of it is convenience foods. My step daughter has the five basic food groups as

Fast
    Frozen
    Canned
    Boxed
    Mcdonalds
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:11 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I recently read an article about a study that was done on obese children. The study determined a common virus was detected and carried by an overwhelming majority of the over weight children, as opposed to the children that had no weight issues. I find this to be very interesting, and hope more research is done in the area . That being said , I fell that ultimately it is the up to the individual parent to control what and how much a child consumes. It's hard for me to blame society when I'm aware of the wealth of dietary information that is out there.

sulkygirl79

Answer by sulkygirl79 at 10:50 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It all comes back to education - when they switched over to the original food pyramid and quit teaching the "four basic food groups", the placement and size of portions on that pyramid were directly influenced by lobbyists for different food organizations. They've since revised the pyramid, but it's STILL influenced by food growers and processors. We now have 20 years+ of teaching kids non-facts about nutrition, and that is passed on to what their parents were taught in college health classes, by WIC, by even the most basic government fact sheet and printed on the side of their Frosted Flakes (the sugar coated cereal lobbyists fought to have labeled as "high in fiber" so it's still "good for you")

Too many people, even if they try to eat healthier or truly believe they are, are still feeding their families salt-licks masquerading as "healthy choice" meals and "low fat" alternatives.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I don't think it is society in general, but parents who have no time in their hands to monitor nutrition..

Answer by older at 8:08 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• "Blaming" sounds harsh. The causes are many but mostly poor eating habits and lack of information. AND, family traditions can cause the whole family to be obese. There is a whole group of families who make huge meals, serve as many portons as the family members want and have no idea what they are serving. Empty calories, too much frying , too many fatty foods and too little vegetables,fruits and whole grains,too much sugar, cause obesity. SO, even of they don't take the easy way out and eat fast food,they can also make the whole family fat by a lack of self control and a tradition of overfeeding. Some live to eat....they get fat. SOme eat to live....they eat small portions of healthy food and know when to stop.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 26, 2010