Is it legal for a catholic school to charge a dollar a trip for children to ride on a school bus?

mamacita69930

Asked by mamacita69930 at 7:51 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes. Private schools don't get any state funding, and because parents are "paying for it" everyone expects them to do better and pay for more. The public schools are probably charging the private school to use their buses and instead of raising tuition for everyone they are charging those who use the bus system. I think it's a good call. I have worked for private schools and for quite a pay cut from public because they just don't have the funding. We were doing fundraisers a lot and "asking for money" to try to make ends meet without raising the tuition rates or cutting our scholarship programs.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:17 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would think that the private school has to pay for the use or the gas. What do you think someone is pocketing the $1 a kid. Things cost. We use to pay for kids to go on the bus to games etc. and that was public schools.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:57 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Why in the world would it not be legal?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:52 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Because it was for free until last week. This bus is from the public school system in our town.But the catholic schools use them too.
    mamacita69930

Comment by mamacita69930 (original poster) at 7:53 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• From my experience, since they are a private school they can charge you. My daughter attended a small private school and every time they had a field trip we (parents) would have to pitch in for gas and rental fee's. Even though they too used public school vehicle's, they were basically renting the bus from the public school. So our money would go directly to the public school or the gas. We were always given the option to pay for the bus ride, or we could drive the children ourselves.
    I
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 8:13 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I do believe it is legal. I think they should have told the parents of this upcoming charge before they started enforcing it. There are some schools in our area that charge. I think it is a way to cut down costs on something that they are paying for. Because you are already paying for the school I can understand why you might not like this.

I would talk to the school and see why they are charging.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:16 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I went to a Catholic school for 12 years. They were always asking for money.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Yes it is legal. They are private and therefore receive no federal money.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Completely legal...private schools don't have to offer transportation at all...so consider yourself lucky it's offered.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 11:36 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• They actually raised tuition 3 times in 3 years. My son now goes to catholic hs. I feel sorry for the kids..
    mamacita69930

Comment by mamacita69930 (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2010