Can I Be In Labor?

I am 37 1/2 weeks pregnant. I went to the doctor Wednesday and was 2 cm dialated and 50 % effaced after being closed on Monday. This morning I went shopping and started having really bad lower abdominal pain. It feels like the worst period cramps ever. I also have bad back pain. Then the pain subsided and now the abdominal pain comes and goes. I really don't want to worry anyone unnecessarily or call the doctor on her day off. Since I've never had a baby, I'm not sure what it's supposed to feel like. I know I can walk around 2 cm for weeks. Help!

B_Vail

Asked by B_Vail at 8:12 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It could be the early stages. Early onset feels like bad cramps and sometimes comes with lower back or even hip pain. I noticed when I was in the Early stages that I felt like I need to poop as well. Pressure I guess. If they begin to get more intense and get more regular then you need to go ahead and call. In fact if it makes you feel better call anyway. They are used to being called on their day off. It comes with the territory. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:57 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• it could be the early stages of labor or it could be that the baby is moving down getting ready to be born and the pain you feel is him/her stretching out everything. You maybe having a big baby.... Time the "contractions", if they are irregular, then its just Braxton Hicks contractions. IF they start coming every 5-7 minutes, GO TO THE HOSPITAL!
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 11:56 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You're experiencing Braxton Hicks. If the contraction is constant and become shorter then you are experiencing the actual thing. I am going through the braxton hicks now and I'm 31 weeks. It's false labor to prepare the baby for the actual labor
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2010