Cover Your A$$ or Truly Believe?

A Christian once said to me that if he was wrong in believing in God, there was no consequences for believing, he would just die. But if someone was wrong in not believing in God, he would pay with his or her eternal life because he or she did not believe. I found that to be an interesting statement. How could it even work, to believe in God "just in case" the Christians are right? I mean, if God knows our hearts, He knows you are only covering your ass. I tend to find statements like this to be desperate....to get people to convert. But what good does it do if you haven't really convinced their heart? What do you think?

ShaunnaMichelle

Asked by ShaunnaMichelle at 8:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Pascal's Wager (the argument your friend gave you) has always irked me... there are a couple of noticeable flaws. For one, it assumes only two options- either the God that the wagerer believes in, or atheism. It ignores a million other potential outcomes, like there being a God who doesn't care about human worship, or the wagerer having backed the wrong god and her continued denial of Thor is going to get some serious punishment in the afterlife. It also assumes that an all-knowing, all-powerful being somehow can't tell someone who honestly believes from someone who is just paying lip service to cover their ass.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:50 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I think God would know if you were sincere or not. If you don't believe, you just don't. Geez. lol

Considering Hindu and Buddhism were here before and have been around alot longer, if they were wrong, they'd know by now wouldn't they? No one is wrong or right. You just believe what you believe. For all we know its all been a hufe waste of effort. We just don't kow.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:37 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Bugbait, how would you live your life differently if you didn't believe in god? If nothing changes except for belief, any loving, forgiving god would see you lived a good life, and accept you as he made you. And any god who wouldn't, isn't worthy of eternal worship and praise.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 9:20 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The idea of someone believing in god just to cover their spiritual asses is fairly amusing, tbh.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 9:33 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I agree, and I've said this same thing before... But no one listens to the non-believers, because we prefer to think outside their little box.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:51 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• And that is why i seriously dislike christianity. As long as you believe, you're fine. If you don't, you go to hell, and that's all that matters. Deeds, intentions, self-sacrifice, doesn't count for anything, it's all about the belief.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 9:36 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Was this actually a statement of the individual's belief system or a thought they had? Christianity and a relationship with Jesus Christ is soooo much more than "just in case they're right".
    LadyTierney

Answer by LadyTierney at 3:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• This is the way I look at it. I would rather believe in God and live my life as though He exists and die to possibly find out there is no God than live my life as though there is no God and die and find out there is a God
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 8:52 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I don't know if there are consequences for not believing. I believe because I truly believe.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It all depends on what kind of Christian you. For me it's not like that. I believe because I want to, not because I feel like if I don't there might be consequences. I can say that now, but it has not always been the case. I really believe that fear needs to not be used to strong arm people into believing. God is loving and caring, but we are told the only way into heaven is through believing in Jesus. All of the other works (deeds, intentions, etc) will not get you in. But, I do believe that your works can keep you out. I don't think it's something where you can say please forgive me once and then live however and still go to Heaven. Words are not the key, acceptance and then lifestyle, for me, are the keys.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:59 AM on Nov. 26, 2010