How do I handle this if it comes up again? (Question about Santa and God)

My son who has Asperger's asked me yesterday Why God made people who didn't believe in Santa. I have no idea what connection he thinks is there but my husband said to just ignore the question. I have no idea why he would ask this. I have never heard of any child asking anything like this before. lol. He is very creative! How would you have responded to this. Thus far it has not come up again but I imagine it will. Is it time to just tell him the truth about Santa?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:51 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• God doesn't care if someone believes in Santa, son. Honestly thats how I'd say it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:27 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Well...if you believe in God, the answer is right there. God gave us FREE WILL. I would guess that is the best way to explain it without giving up Santa yet if you are not ready for that.
    ShaunnaMichelle

Answer by ShaunnaMichelle at 8:57 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• i'd say, because, silly, santa isn't real! but then again...i'm telling my kids the truth from the beginning...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My kids all still believe in Santa - who we have told the kids is much like God in that we are given gifts of life, salvation and many blessings through the days, weeks, and months each year (e.g. beautiful days, family, good friends, food, clothing, etc). I honestly do not have much experience with aspergers only that they are special people God gives to special parents and families. Two of my kids have seizure disorders so they know they have special traits about them that other kids haven't been blessed with. God bless you and your family! Happy Holidays!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:02 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• be honest and tell him how you believe or feel about the subject of God and that Santa really has no connection to God, that they just happen to be 2 parts of how people choose to celebrate Christmas.

We're not Christian and celebrate that Santa aspect of Xmas without any problems. My boys are Aspies too.

Tell em God doesn't control what people think. That there's people all over the world that don't even worship God and still celebrate Xmas and Santa. Something like that.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:07 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• "i'd say, because, silly, santa isn't real! but then again...i'm telling my kids the truth from the beginning..."

Problem there is that you could say the same about gods of any religion. At least Santa was based on a real living man whom the mythos came from.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I don't know how old your son is, but
    Simply tell him that you and his dad are HIS Santa and God made the both of you.
    Just some ppl have known this about their own parents forever and simply don't believe.
    It's being honest, but more on his level of understanding...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I agree with Shaunna and I just tell my kids that if people don't believe in santa they get socks and underwear.
    You might be giving the question too much credit. Maybe it was just a nonchalant thing like "Why did God have to create ______?(insert something you don't like)
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:05 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

That is my fear. I am afraid he will hear 'If Santa isn't real then maybe God isn't either'. HIs mind is very literal and tends to create connections where their aren't any to attempt to explain something he is unsure about. Then it's very hard to break his 'false' connections.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• In the end, OP, its really going to be his choice what he chooses to believe in in his life, regardless of what we want our children to do, they make their own choices and conclusions. Aspies are very very smart and logical. And like yours, my Aspies have trouble logic-ing out the existence of God, too. I'm not one to force religion on anyone though. It'll be their choice, and I'll support whatever they choose to do.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:22 AM on Nov. 26, 2010