amnesty international?

I got something from this npo in the mail today. I WILL do my own research, but thought I'd ask while i'm on here lol. Could someone tell me about them? They asked for a donation and/or to sign a "card" which would be given to a prisoner...I dont have the money to donate, but I wouldnt mind signing the card just my first name...is it legit? Do most of their profits go toward their cause?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 10:23 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They have been involved with a number of scams and like all NGO's are to ideological. They defend only the human rights that fit their political motivation.

http://www.ngo-monitor.org/article/review_of_amnesty_international_in_attacking_democracy_instead_of_oppression_in_middle_east
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:34 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Chunk it
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I agree with itsmesteph
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Typical Carpy reply. Amnesty International is an international charitable organisation of lawyers who work on behalf of human rights and political prisoners the world over. If you are a neo conservative and a supporter of corporate power and political dictatorships of the right or left,, the death penalty, and jail terms for ' political' crimes, you will not approve of Amnesty International. Otherwise, you may well approve. Google Amnesty International , do not rely on the above opinions of our reguar right-wing extremists., make up your own mind.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Janet nice job with the talking points but do some real research.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The source of contention with Amnesty International seems to center on their unrelenting condemnation of Israel. At every opportunity, AI refers to Israel in terms relating to the occupation and oppression of the palestinians and their lands. So if you're pro Israel, AI probably isn't the NGO for you to get behind.
    They do make an attempt to ease the plight of political prisoners, bring the plight of the oppressed to the attention of the first world, and generally to bring government pressure to bear on situations that are clear violations of basic human rights. To me, they do more good than bad, although I wish as a WORLD we could get over the contentious language surrounding Israel's actions and focus on solutions, but there are never reasonable solutions when you are dealing with supremacists.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 10:25 AM on Nov. 27, 2010