How can I get a child to eat when he is taking concerta for adhd?

kathyshan

Asked by kathyshan at 10:30 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• The only advice I can offer you on this is just make sure that you give him a good breakfast. And even though he may not want to eat anything else later on, still make sure he has a small snack in between. I know what you are going through. Even though my son doesn't want to eat a lot of times while the medicine is still in his system, i still see to him eating a little something.

NubianQueen78

Answer by NubianQueen78 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Yes, breakfast is a must. But I would also talk to his Dr. about the dosage level. My son was on that for a while, and it did not effect his appetite. I know every kid is different & that's a possible side effect tho.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:56 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Thank you for the informative info. My son has been on this med (36mg) for 4 years now and he is small to begin with. He is 13 and I was concerned about his stature so I took him to the doctor to find out he is 10 lbs underweight. UH, now I am on top of him to drink these "boost plus" and I am so upset hearing him say " I am not hungry" all the time. I offer everything. I am so worried about him. The doctor said if he doesnt gain weight in a month he may take him off the meds and try a different one. I am now upset that he will be a quinny pig for meds.
    kathyshan

Comment by kathyshan (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• my brother takes it and he can't eat in the morning. We give him carnation instant breakfast mixed in whole milk, it fills him up enough but it doesn't make him sick
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Make sure he eats a good breakfast BEFORE taking his meds. Let him eat dinner later at night, after the meds wear off. My son ate breakfast and then snacked during the day (I let him eat when he was hungry) then had a good dinner at about 8 or 9 at night. I also gave him KidEssentials twice a day. Once he turned about 13, he ate all the time...even on the meds.

BTW, changing meds for ADHD is NOT making your child a guinea pig for meds, it is working with his body to find the best medications for him and how his body works. My son was on 3 meds before we found one that worked the best. A LOT of disorders, illnesses etc take some trial and error before finding the best solution.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:04 AM on Nov. 28, 2010