Seriously?

My MIL is well....insane. Selfish, bitter, mean...you get the picture. Anyway, last night at dinner she informed her 4 kids that she wants a new stove for Christmas! My DH was really pissed off about this...and the rest of us taken aback a bit too. I mean we are not poor, but by no means wealthy enough to be splitting the cost of a new gas range 4 ways. I have 5 kids to put a Christmas on for. I don't know how to handle this. Keeping in mind she is nutty as a shit house rat, how would you approach her? Tell her there is NO WAY this will be happening!? She has more nerve than a bad tooth!

salexander

Asked by salexander at 11:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think some of you missed the point. It was rude of her to announce that she expects her kids to buy her a new stove for Christmas.

I probably would have been "Yeah? I want a Shelby Cobra Mustang GT 500. Thanks!"
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Huh....That's a tough one. Maybe tell her she has to pitch in too.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:50 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• LOL, you must have married my X, you're describing my MIL to a T!! Tell the crazy ole coot to write a letter to Santa.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 11:50 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• First of all there is no way I would tell my kids I want a stove. That is a little big to me. I would just start off trying to talk nicely. Tell her you have the 4 kids to think about and you can't afford it. Then see where it goes from there. Good luck
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:51 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Wow... you guys need to laugh more. At the table. After people make ridiculous statements.

My favourite answer to the never ending 'I want' list is 'there sure are lots of things to want.'

I would have announced that I wanted a car. Or a house. Or a million dollars.

An announcement is not an order, and a request is not a demand. Demands for gifts anywhere near me result in a sudden and deep need to have a very 'spiritual' holiday with no material gifts at all. Or, a suggestion that only re-gifting is allowed this year...

I don't take hints well... or, rather, they're like being handed a ball I don't want: you let it go and I'll watch it fall on the floor and roll around. I'm not picking it up just because you don't want it on the floor... or to hold it yourself.

Too bad the moment has passed --everyone lost a great opportunity to say 'sorry to hear that'.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:58 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would suggest she shop around at the rent to own kind of stores where SHE can make payments on it. My MIL pulls this kind of crap. Yesterday she started throwing a fit because we all started leaving and no one had offered to put up her Christmas lights outside. It was 23 degrees and freezing rain, but no matter she wanted them up. Tough crap.  She also told us she wanted us (as is hubby and myself) to buy her a house in the town where we live.  We already make the hosue payment she has on the overpriced house she insisted that she had to have since it was next door to her daughter.  No way in h*ll are we making two house payments for the old heifer.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• If she comes to you personally or other family member about that say you have other people to think about too. Things don't always revolve around her. She doesn't need to so gosh darn selfish especially as an adult.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Sounds JUST like my MIL! I'd ask her if there is anything else she wanted (maybe some pots and pans for the new stove she buys herself =) GL
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:54 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I think that I would go to Lowes or whatever hardware store that sells appliances in the area and buy a gfit card for the max amount I wanted to spend. Tell the siblings to do the same. She can combine all of them and pay the rest.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:56 AM on Nov. 26, 2010

• HAHA like this troll would be happy with some cheap piece of crap...this is thr problem!
    salexander

Comment by salexander (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2010