How do you successful have a blended family?

Just curious to know how those who have split from their child(ren)s father, have made it work with moving on.

BlssdMama

Asked by BlssdMama at 12:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• The same way you successfully have any other kind of family: with respect.

Anyone can get along with anyone else if the only rule in the house is that everyone, no matter how anyone feels about it, is treated with genuine respect. Not snotty, superior minded 'respect' but actual kind words and generosity. Not strict rules and enforcement --actual respect for preferences, personality differences and the living, breathing humanity in every person.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Its not any more difficult than any other kind of family, in some ways its easier... I grew up in a blended family, so I have five 1/2 siblings, and am an only child all at the same time.

I now have a blended family of sorts. I have 3 children from 2 relationships, am divorced, living with my SO who is divorced and has children as well. We have ground rules that are followed, all of them based on mutual regard, respect, and general consideration for others. The same values which should be applied to every other aspect of your life.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• When my Ex and I divorced I never thought Scott and I would ever work out because of my three teen children. I really thought it was going to be like what you see on television...you know the whole "You're not my Father. I hate you." so on and so on...but it was totally the opposite. They actually treat him better than they do their biological father. They confide in him, they talk to him, they ask his opinions on life teen-hood and growing up. It is wrong for them to say but they have told me they wished Scott was their bio dad and that their bio-father never existed. Their bio-dad is mean to them and allows his new wife to make any and all decisions for him in regards to the children like he can not give them presents, or take them out to dinner or just out, he can not talk to them on the phone unless she is on the other line to hear it...blah blah blah ...very childish I know but its what they have to work with. :(

4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2010