Climber, AHHH

My 15 mo just figured out how to climb out of his crib. It is on the lowest setting possible. What do I do now? It is way to soon for a toddler bed. He wouldn't stay put even if I tried. Any suggestions?

hotmama404

Asked by hotmama404 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Who says it is too soon for a toddler bed?? I moved my son to one at 13 months because he was also climbing out of his crib. Go for it! It is a safety issue and i'm sure you'd much rather him get out of his toddler bed SAFELY rather than climb over the railings of the crib and potentially hurt himself.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Yeah I don't think that it is too early for a toddler bed. I move my oldest into one at 9 months for climbing out of the crib. It only took one time because I was so afraid of her falling on her head. We just did the method where they got out of bed I would place them back in it and repeat until the learned not to get out of it. All of my kids were in toddler beds before that age.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Safety is key. If he's climbing out of his crib, it's time for a toddler bed. It's better to have to keep putting him back in bed that way than to have him fall while climbing out of the crib.

He might surprise you and stay put, you never know until you try. :) If he doesn't, you have a few options. You can keep the room devoid of anything other than furniture (i.e., no toys), and just let him pass out wherever he happens to be when sleep overtakes him. Or you can keep putting him back in bed for a couple of nights until he gets the idea. My mom said she sat right outside my door and would tell me to get back in bed whenever she heard me get out, and within 2-3 nights, I stayed in bed.

Or there are crib tents, which is a net dome you attach to the top of the crib. It's made more for keeping pets out, but I've heard people use it for keeping kids in, too. Not sure how effective it is, I've never known anyone personally.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The supernanny technique is to just keep putting them strait back in bed. I personally just make sure there's nothing he can get hurt on and close the door.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 12:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Look online. They sell crib tents that attach to the top of the crib. They are made of netting and are arched & have a zipper top closure. My friend used it for her son to keep him in the crib & it worked really well.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I had 3 children and a grandson I never had a crib. Put the crib mattress on the floor for him to sleep on. Cribs should not be used as cages, you can raise children cage-free.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:51 AM on Nov. 27, 2010