What to do? I don't know.

My boyfriend, when stressed, does not handle it well. He tends to shut down, and shut everyone out. He pretends around his co-workers and family that he is happy, because he doesn't want for them to see that he is struggling,and usually opens up only to me. Lately, he's not even doing that. He's shutting me out,at least, that is how it feels to me. He told me that it's not me, and has to do with work, but I don't know what to do anymore. I'm trying to be there for him and at the same time give him space but it doesn't seem like he really needs me right now. Any suggestions?

countrygirl1987

Asked by countrygirl1987 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Give him some time and alittle space. Dont push him to talk, some people handle stress differently. Be patient with him.
    AingealsBabies

Answer by AingealsBabies at 12:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I agree
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I've done both. Given him space, with no added pressure. He's still avoiding me.
    countrygirl1987

Comment by countrygirl1987 (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• What a terrible feeling that must be for you. You're trying so hard to care for his needs but it sounds like he's neglecting yours. What about you? We all have stress, I tend to shut down too, so that's something I totally understand...but I'll talk to my partner when they really show an interest in what's going on with me, if they're really showing me they care..it sounds like you're doing all you can and he still isn't trusting you with his feelings? Somethings wrong with this picture..
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 12:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• His dad and I have been talking, and he said that he thinks he wants to be and do more with his life, and he thinks he might feel like he's letting me down. So that's why he's avoiding me.
    countrygirl1987

Comment by countrygirl1987 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• im sorry your boyfriend is going threw this but he will be ok just be the best girlfriend you can be & be there for him & when he is ready i hope he will come to you just be patient & think positive
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 1:14 PM on Nov. 26, 2010