Climber, AHHH

My 15 mo just figured out how to climb out of his crib. It is on the lowest setting possible. What do I do now? It is way to soon for a toddler bed. He wouldn't stay put even if I tried. Any suggestions?

hotmama404

Asked by hotmama404 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We went from the infant crib to the toddler bed for our youngest because she climbed out of an empty full-size playpen without help and I thought putting her 4' off the ground in the same kind of cage was probably a bad choice.

She loved her little bed...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:08 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Can you wait until he's asleep to put him in?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 12:09 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Wait until he is asleep? seriously?

My kids have ALWAYS been put to bed awake. *sigh* and people wonder why bed time is such a fight.

My DD slept in bed at that age, she climbed out of EVERYTHING else, sometimes you do what you've go to do...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:14 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• If he climbs out might as well just get him a toddler bed. I say it is time for one.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 12:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Thing is, his is an open room, like a loft. Absolutly NO other place we can put him. There are toys all around, shelves, and stairs (yes, there is a gate). So much is a safety concern if he is let loose. He does NOT fall asleep anywhere but in bed. Plus, he's a little destroyer.
    hotmama404

Comment by hotmama404 (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I say get him a toddler bed. He will eventually fall asleep in it or on the floor. Once he gets use to it he'll fall right asleep in his bed. It might be a good idea to put one of those child lock things on the door knob so he won't keep coming out of his room. Jmo though.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• When I put mine in their own bed, I would sit in the room for the first couple of weeks to make sure that they stayed in their beds. After that, they learned that was what they were supposed to do, and did it without any problem (They are 9,5,3 now, and all I have to do is say "bed time" and they all go get in bed and wait for their hug good night. And they STAY there).

If he is already climbing out, then you have a double safety concern. He could catch his arm in the bars on the way out and break it (or an ankle/foot), fall and hit his head, etc. PLUS, he is loose and near the stairs... IMO, you should add a couple of bells to the gate so that if he touches it, you'll know. Thats what we did with the ones near stairs.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2010