We have a long family history of cancer....

...particularly cervical, ovarian, uterine, breast, and pancreatic.

My maternal g-ma was diagnosed with cervical cancer, and didn't beat it.. I have several aunts, great aunts, cousins, my sister who have all had issues along the same line, and several cancer survivors.

I just got the results that my pap came back abnormal... I'm so freaked out!

Any advice?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 12:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Health

• Nothing but don't freak out yet. Paps come back abnormal quite a bit and turn out to be nothing.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Calm down.

Stress is not good for your body, or your immune system, so finding a way to manage and direct your thoughts will help your whole body.

Start by breathing out. All the way. Keep exhaling until your lungs are empty --it takes longer than you think. When you've breathed in again, repeat this... four or five times at least. Every time you find your mind running away with whatever fearful thought you have about, do it again.

While people have a great long list of rights for themselves, and conditions for the future, the fact is we are born to die... some families can readily predict that it will be heart disease or cancer, or something else that they've seen a lot of --but that's not really very interesting.

What is interesting is how you are going to live your life right now: fretting, freaking out and overreacting to all kinds of stress... or some other way. If you don't start now, how will you start later?
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I don't generally worry over nothing, but considering the high incidence of occurrence in my family, and knowing what I do about cancer... well, I'm concerned. I also HATE internal exams, and I know what is coming next. Thanks Google! *sarcasm*
    ObbyDobbie

Comment by ObbyDobbie (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• First off, consider ALL the women who have gotten abnormal pap results and it turn out to be nothing. Yeah, if you have to do a colposcopy and whatnot, it's not fun (been there), but it's not the worst, either.

Also, IF it is something, early detection is key. If it's something and they catch it now, you have a much higher chance of beating it than if you'd waited till years down the road. You know your risk, and you're taking steps. That counts for a lot.

Good luck. I hope it's nothing.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• relax until you find out what's going on.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Don't freak out. Abnormal paps are common. My family history mirrors yours. Almost every pap I have comes back abnormal. Back in 97, it came back bad enough to diagnose me with Cervical Cancer. I had it taken care of and so far (knock on wood) so good. As long as you stay on top of your yearly exams, if anything is "bad", your odds of beating anything increase tremendously. Worrying is only going to make you sick.

Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:53 AM on Nov. 27, 2010