Where can he find a job?

My DH has been laid off since Nov. 09. He's put in hundreds of applications, worked with Career Link, logs on to SnagAJob, Craigslist, & Backpage every other day and fills out all the applications available to him... (Or sends in his resume)

He's running out of unemployment and so far he's gotten a total of ONE call for an interview and that one didn't ever call back.

I lost my job in July, and I'm pregnant (due any day) no one is going to hire me at this point...

What other ways can he find a job? He wants to work, but we can't find anywhere else to put his applications in at... Where else can he look? Are there other job sites worth checking? He'll take ANYTHING, even min. wage, at this point... Where else can he go look?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Money & Work

• Do they have Labor Ready near you? It's manual labor jobs that you go do either daily or the boss can pick you up long term.
    Your husband should have one more year of extensions though, so at least he has a bit more time to keep looking.
    I was also laid off quite awhile ago and did everything your husband has done. Thankfully my husband is still employed so we have opted for me to simply go back to school.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Walk into places of business (in his field) that appear to be successful and ask to speak to a human being about work.

100% of job hunts are more successful the more live contact a person has with live people... resumes can only take you so far.

I would also say, offhand, that if he's sent out 100s of resumes and only had one response the problem might very well be in the resume itself. I'm easily amused, so if you'd like to send me a copy of it, I'll go over it to see what the glaring problems are. Contact me through the message thing here and I'll give you my email address...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• No. Someone else said something about Labor Ready to us too. But there aren't any here. This is his last extension... I won't be cleared medically to return to work until at least February. I have to have surgery, but can't have that done til after the baby is born, and unfortunately it's not something that can wait. I'm sure I won't have an issue finding work, I never do. But I don't know how to help him find anything... He's been doing odd jobs here and there where he can find them, but nothing ever lasts for more than a day or so - cutting grass & such... Plus with winter coming in, there isn't any grass to cut.

We have 2 kids in addition to the one on the way, and already own family THOUSANDS for helping us cover the bills and rent... As long as he's on unemployment we make to much money for most "help" programs here... And we also support my BIL, who is "disabled" but who was turned down for SSD...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Has he tried the jobs section in the newspapaer? He might find something there.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• What did he do when he was employed? What line of work? Did he try monster.com?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Some plces are still looking for seasonal help, so apply everywhere, Lowe's Home Depot, Wal-Mart, even McDonald's! Something to help while looking for more permanent work is always good.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The Pepsi plant in Marion, IL is hiring for drivers and they are throwing in FREE CDL training... an excellent opportunity or a great career!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Retailers are hiring right now. My husband is a retail manager and he just hired a man who has been unemployed for a long time now that was in the construction business. My husband says he's an awesome hard worker (and now he's scared of losing him when the construction business picks up again someday). Good luck!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 5:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Retail. Any job is better than no job.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2010