Kids sick AGAIN!!!!

This is the 3rd time in 3 months now. It goes away & the virus comes back. Everytime I take my kids somewhere like the indoor playground etc. they get sick?? Are you going through this too? My kids are 4 and 18 months old. One gets sick then the other a day after. They are healthy I am wondering if I can get chewable vitamin C for kids to go along with the baby vitamin. This time of year is hard, are you going through something similar??

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 12:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• If they are getting sick after you take them to a public play place where tons of kids go day in and out, a good thing to do would be to carry those little bottles of hand sanitizer or wipes and use it from their elbows down to help as soon as they are done playing. Simple washing with warm soap or water as soon as they get home from anywhere from the elbows down is a very good and easy way to cut back on germs. Also vitamins help but you should talk to your Dr before using any to see what kind they suggest especially for the 18 month old.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:08 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• warm soap AND water sorry lol
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 1:09 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• What kind of virus are we talking here?

For colds, the best thing you can do is stay in humid environments --drying out the nasal passages is one of the main reasons people pick up colds, when they're immune systems are stressed (like because they're dehydrated, or eating low-grade food, or never getting enough rest). When you can't stay out of the dry, it helps to put some oil (vitamin E is mild and inoffensive, but any light food-grade oil will work) just around the inside of their noses before going into dry places.

And drink lots and lots of water. Not juice (because it actually depletes water from a body, processing all that sugar --and in that way it makes no difference to the body in question if it's 'natural' sugar, added sugar, hfcs or artificial sweetener).

For people who make an effort to lower their salt intake, and who don't eat naturally salty foods, staying hydrated may be a challenge. Watch for pale lips.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• no its germs it started when i took them to a preschool program to play & now its come back out to attack again the Dr. says antibiotics are not necessary unless he has fluid in his lungs they were ok but they are building their immune system before this they were not sick that much. They eat well & are hydrated. I remember being sick alot as a kid & walking home sick. Its hard when ya have two because when one gets sick whammo the next one gets sick right away vicious cycle. Yes, we always bring wipes & make sure they wash their hands always.
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Adequate sleep; lots of water, and echineacea will all help build the immune system.
    I had been resisting supplementing with probiotics until I read tchis:
    With all the hype about the upcoming flu epidemic, and the pros and cons of vaccination, how can we protect our children and ourselves?
    According to the results of a double-blind, placebo-controlled study reported in the August 2009 issue of PEDIATRICS, probiotics may be useful to prevent cold and influenza-like symptoms in children.
    Read the rest of the article here: http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/707328

Answer by rkoloms at 5:49 AM on Nov. 27, 2010