What do you do to

comfort your sick kids who can't breathe through their noses? Its so hard to watch I rub Vicks on their back & chest, keep them warm, use nasal spray, hot steam, I know its just time that helps but man its hard to see them like this!

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that they make a children's size breathe right strip. I know that the adult size ones work. That might help with night time relief.
    mommyrocks5

Answer by mommyrocks5 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• well you just have to try your best they will get better i hope you kids get better soon
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I taught them to breathe through their noses...after my eldest taught me, quite by accident.

Our bodies are very good at keeping us alive. That's important to remember, so you can trust that this will work...and do it yourself before you try to talk your kids into it, so you'll believe it, too.

When we have a cold, our sinuses become heavy with congestion --it's not snot, and it's not glued shut-- but our sinuses have muscles in them that make it possible to pull the tissue up and away. It's hard to do on purpose (because it's hard to find the muscles --like trying to intentionally lift the outside edge of one eyebrow, hard to do even with a mirror!) but you can entice your body to do it for you: cover your mouth, press your tongue against the roof and wait.

You will not suffocate, but it will feel like you're going to --and then quite suddenly your sinuses will clear. Breathe in only through your nose to keep it clear.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• thx Ricanmami1
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2010