Does anyone else have a tweenage daughter who keeps her room a mess?

tryin2BGOOD

Asked by tryin2BGOOD at 1:16 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes.

Two of them, in fact. The elder of my two (living on her own) has established the fact that drawers are not an effective storage method for her clothes, because the drawers end up empty no matter what... she's thinking of going to cubbies... or shelving or something.

The other daughter has half and apartment worth of stuff in a 10x11 room... which doesn't work very well.

I couldn't care less what their rooms look like, though... not my problem. I just want the dishes back.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Yes, I just think it is normal for them to keep it a mess. I remember when I was that age and I never cleaned my room. As a parent it is very frustrating although now I don't ague anymore. If they can't find something then I just tell them clean your room and maybe you'll find what you are looking for.

Every once and a while I will help them clean if they start to clean and ask for help. If not I have just started closing the door and not worrying about it.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I do not but I did that as a teenager, the month of graduation you couldn't see the floor of my room. My mom agreed she just wanted he dishes back lol. I am not really sure what you can do other than force them to do it.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 1:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Thanks. I will try just closing the door at times. Otherwise I'd be in there everyday like before.
    tryin2BGOOD

Comment by tryin2BGOOD (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• they say to let teens have the meesy rooma and just close the door...it is their space-if they can't find things they will eventually clean it!
    as long as there is no rotting food or whatnot I dont fight them *too much- but they know if we are gonna have company or they are then the rooms need to at least be picked up, mine got better with age too. At 12 it was hell to get them to clean but at 14 and 17 they will usually pick them up every weekend without a fight
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You mean to tell me that there are actually living, breathing teenagers out there that DON'T keep their room a mess?
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My tween (12) keeps her room in better shape than does my tween (14) daughter. In this case, it is more about temperament than anything else. I try to make room for some flexibility while still keeping reasonable expectations about how it should look.
    MistyandZoesMom

Answer by MistyandZoesMom at 1:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Teenage son, i think all teens are the same. I just close the door. Although I go in once and a while and make sure there are no science projects that will attract critters. LOL
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 1:39 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• yes, i call my 11 year old daughter's room "the jungle of the house"
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Yep, all three of my daughters kept their rooms a mess. It's their space, no food allowed, they just keep their doors shut. Funny thing is, as the older two grew up and moved out, now their homes are spotless!
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 3:47 PM on Nov. 26, 2010