I don't really have a Mom I can listen too....

My Mom went out and shopped, cheated on my Father and used drugs.
I have my daughter, but at times I get a little edgy if things are not perfect around me.
Like house work or the way we look.
I am not sure at times how to raise my Daughter. But I just know that I want the best for her.
There was a period of time, (ages 2 1/2 - 5), where I gave her to my relative to raise, but when the school called me to seek me out, I was not in legal trouble, they just wanted to know why my DD was not doing her work in school. They could never reeach her gardians, only able to leave messages.
So I took my DD back at the age of five and started to raise her.
My Mother has been involved with buying things, but doesn't like to talk about serious things. And she gives advice like I should slap the teacher.
I am in my 30's and feel like an idiot. But I have the support of my Hubby and well.... I can't answer a lot of questions about her as a three year old or four year old. But ever since taking her back her grades have come up and she has stopped taking things.
Where can I find some honest and good advice on parenting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• at my local adult school they have parenting classes, see if you cant find something like that
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 1:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• No one knows what they are doing all of the time. Parenting is challenging. Kids don't come with an instruction manual. A parenting course, as the other poster suggested, might help, or family or individual counseling since it seems like you are carrying a lot from your past. Everyone feels clueless as a mom some days, but giving custody to someone else in response seems a little extreme.
    Anonymous

• The parenting classes sound good. I am glad you have your daughter now. Sounds to me like that is where she needs to be. You can always ask for advice on here to if you need to. Good luck
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 1:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Parenting mags always help make me think of things i wouldnt have normally thought about.. but as far as advice.. id find some friends who have children as well. or other family members..or friends in church w/ children, if you attend! I've made lots of friends from the nursery at ours(:
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 1:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You can take classes, a lot of times they are offered through local hospitals or sometimes your local adult school may offer them. Church is another good place to start. You can google parenting classes also and find something near you.
    mommyrocks5

Answer by mommyrocks5 at 2:52 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Find a few non-judgemental people that have went through raising the same age group as you are raising. yea its hard to find people you trust but keep trying. Are there any supportive relatives?
    tat2dprincess

Answer by tat2dprincess at 2:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I love the book Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves by Naomi Aldort. You should be able to find it at your local library. You can learn more here: http://www.naomialdort.com/

Answer by rkoloms at 5:51 AM on Nov. 27, 2010