Kindle or Nook?

Which one is better?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 1:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Technology

• They both have pros and cons, though in my opinion it seems like the Nook has more pros. The biggest features for me are: The Kindle is very proprietary; you can only get ebooks that are in the Kindle format (Nook you can get PDFs, etc.), and you can't share them at all (Nook lets you "lend" books to friends...with a Nook, of course). The Nook is changing to compete with other devices like the iPad; soon (if not with the latest model), it will let you have apps and you can do things other than just read books on it.

And Kindle and Nook both have free apps you can download on an iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, PC, Mac, Blackberry, etc. The screen is a lot smaller (in the case of the more portable smartphones and iPod), but that's an option if you won't be relying on it too heavily.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would like to know this too. I am thinking Kindle, then I seen all other kinds at the Border....I am getting one for my Mom :)
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 1:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Kindle. I have checked the reviews and it seems the Nook has some serious cons. Amazon is running a deal on the Kindle 2 for black Friday. Which is good if you don't need the latest model. Kindle 2 is only $89.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 1:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I like the fact that the Nook does color so you can have childrens books on it...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I don't have either. One thing I know about the Kindle is that you can now down load the free kindle app onto your iPhone (or a bunch of other smart phones and iPad) and then just buy the books. There is even a section for free classics. I'm not sure if it works on a computer as well. My library has a down load section and it's great, which is why I don't have a kindle.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• sony reader
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 2:02 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Oh, and for clarification, the Nook taking different ebook formats means you can buy ebooks at places other than B&N. With the Kindle, you're stuck with just Amazon. Not that Amazon doesn't have a great selection, but still. No choice.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2010