4 month old waking up during night

Well, just all of a sudden, my 4 month old has been getting up in the middle of the night . now, this only happens once in a while, he usually sleeps right through the night about 8-10 hrs! I have been told by my Dr. to leave him a lone. The most he will cry is about an hr.Of course, we haven't done that...I mean..I figure he is only 4 months old, so we give him about 3 oz & he goes right back to sleep. now, if he was 6 or 7 months old, I would just let him cry. What do you all think?? Am I doing the right thing or do we let him cry it out because I know he needs to learn to go back to sleep on his own.

LDA33

Asked by LDA33 at 1:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• he is a BABY, they wake up, need attention, food, changed... God, when he sleeps for 8-10 hours do you get him up to change him?

You're telling me you would let a 6 month old BABY cry for an hour? really? really?

CIO is ABUSE.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• He needs to eat, that is why he is waking up. Even at 6 or 7 months I wouldn't let him cry it out as he is waking up for a reason. Babies grow fast and they can only handle a small amount of food at a time which is why they wake up in the night to eat. There will be plenty of time for your baby to learn to sleep through the night when he his older, but for now and months to come, he needs to eat at night too.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 1:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Welcome to parenthood! My children have NEVER slept through the night and they are 3 & 4 years old... I would NEVER just let them lay there and cry, and let me tell you that if a doctor ever suggested I did I would take my business to a doctor who deserved to treat my children!

But yeah, at this age, it's not only normal but healthy for him to wake up for food or changing...

My advice, tell your peds to grow up and find one that has a clue!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It's normal for a baby that young to wake up at night..not trying to be rude, but it's a BABY, that's what they do.

-AJ

Answer by -AJ at 2:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It's so hard when all of the sudden they start waking up again after they were good sleepers. The same thing happened with my son. A friend told me about a website called momsoncall.com and it tells you how to get them on a good schedule. He still wakes up sometimes in the middle of the night but it's much better. Good luck, you will get through it!
    BravoBride

Answer by BravoBride at 2:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It could be a growth spur. They tend to get one around 4 months of age. I wouldn't let him CIO. My son is four months too and I wouldn't let him CIO. Not even at 6 months. To me a baby crying means he needs something even if its just mommy holding him or putting him back to sleep.
    Good Luck!
    Tristainsmamma

Answer by Tristainsmamma at 2:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Thank you for all the advise ladies, I do realize he is a BABY & my instincts do tell me to get up & attend to him by feeding him. I was just asking ya'lls advise because I am a first time mom & of course want to do everything right. I don't want to create bad habits & I understand I am probably being a little foolish to think I am because he is so young. I just know some Mom's who have picked their baby up every time they cry & now they cry all the time unless they are held. Oh, & to the one who said I am " ABUSING MY CHILD" you are a complete IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    LDA33

Comment by LDA33 (original poster) at 7:41 AM on Nov. 27, 2010