How do you put the Christ back into Christmas? If you do not believe in Christ or Christmas please do not post here. This was not a debate question. I respect everyone's right to their belief and I insist they do the same for me.

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 2:02 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't care if Christmas was originally a pagan holiday or if Christ was born in the spring. This is the time that the early Church fathers, in their wisdom, chose to celebrate the birth of our Savior. I don't think I will arrive at the pearly gates and St Peter will say "Sorry Hun, you got His birth date wrong..better luck next time!"
    We start preparations for Christmas with 40 days of fasting, prayer and alms giving. It started on Nov. 15th. I have a 40 day Advent calendar for my kids with special surprises for each day, we go to church more and pray special Advent prayers as a family, we also volunteer more in our community. We should of course do all these things regularly, but we turn it up a notch to prepare our hearts for Christs' joyous birth :)
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:09 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• In my own experience Christ has always been central to Christmas so I need not restore Christ to the holiday but rather continue to celebrate. In my tradition, we begin a season of preparation called Advent and begin a time of waiting.
    MistyandZoesMom

Answer by MistyandZoesMom at 2:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I keep the Odin in Yule
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:39 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I don't!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Read the Christmas story before opening presents
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 2:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Don't think you really can since he was never there to begin with. What we know as Christmas was originally a pagan holiday that was usurped by the early Church and given a christian name and connotation. Actually if you really think about it, the nativity scenes we are so accustomed to seeing are misleading. The Bible says that when the 3 wise men saw Jesus, he was a young child upon his mother's knee. If doesn't say infant in a manger in that reference, it says young child which is different. Scholars have said that when the 3 wise men saw him, he was probably nearly 2 years of age and he was most likely born in the Spring as sheep would not have been out in the fields in winter.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 2:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We read the Christmas story. We have an Advent wreath on our dinning room table, we light a candle every week starting 4 weeks before Christmas, we say a prayer as a family and reflect on the events in the Bible surrounding the Christmas story. We have several Advent calendars that count down the days until the celebration of the birth of Christ.  We donate food money and time to people in need.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Umm Christ isn't about Christmas... it is about believing in your heart who He is.
    What I mean is this... When you focus on Him in your own heart and in your own life... that will bring a better perspective of the Christmas Holiday ... its not about the Holy Day but your own relationship with Him in your own heart. It is a personal thing!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• How do you put Jesus into a holiday that has nothing to do with HIS birth in the first place. Come on,you admit that it IS originally a Pagan holiday that was stolen in order to get Pagans to convert.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• He was never in it to begin with... gotta love how christianity claims the traditions it likes and makes them its own!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2010