At what age did you let your children watch R- rated movies?

mrsljamieson

Asked by mrsljamieson at 2:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• I never restrict what the kids watch, they understand what they understand everything else goes over their heads anyway. My kids love jackass, and stuff like that, as well as true blood and other series on HBO. My 10 year old DD is really funny she has a great sense of humor, you never know what she is going to say next!!! but I told her to only say that kind of stuff at home--LOL. Don't get me wrong she goes to church every sunday and gets straight A's she needs time to just let loose
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Not until they are old enough to understand them and why they are rated R.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4 and have seen a few... It depends on the movie. If it's too gorey, if there is nudity or something, we'll put something else on for them in the other room. But if it's just language or something stupid, we don't stop them from seeing it... I never pay attention to ratings!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We'''ll I'm the big mean Mom. I have and do restrict movies and television. 6 yr olds don't need to be watching movies with sex, violence or gratuitous vulgar language. My boys who are grown now were not allowed to watch R rated movies until they could legally buy the ticket and go see it themselves.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 3:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• eh...it really depends on the movie...my 10yr old is pretty much allowed to watch whatever he wants so long as its not ridiculously inappropriate. he's been allowed to watch SOME rated R movies for about 2 yrs. i've already discussed with him anything he could possibly see in the movies anyways, and i continue to discuss things like language, violence, sex, and drugs with him as the situations come up on movies or in real life. he's a good kid and i have no reason to believe him watching rated R movies will ever be a problem.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 6:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2010