RE: Answer to a post...

Someone asked a question about their witch MIL that straight out told her FOUR ADULT children that she wanted a new gas stove for Christmas. Well me and a few other posted that it was no big deal. I even told the poster that a gas stove at Sears was $299 and with tax that would be about $85 each and I got a vote down. Witch or not, she's still the posters husbands mother and there are three other children so $85 is the least they should spend. Well me and the others that responded to this thread all got voted down. Why? What am I missing here that is so wrong about the responses?

BTW, PERSONALLY...I TELL MY CLOSE FAMILY MEMBERS WHAT I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS AND ALSO TELL THEM THAT IF THEY CAN'T OR WON'T THEN PLEASE DON'T BOTHER CAUSE I DON'T NEED THE ADDITIONAL CLUTTER OF STUFF I DON'T NEED AROUND. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT IT'S THE THOUGHT THAT COUNTS BECAUSE GOOD THOUGHTS AREN'T GOING TO GET ME THE NEW STRAIGHTENING IRON TO REPLACE THE FIVE YEAR OLD ONE THAT I HAVE BEING HELD TOGETHER BY ELECTRICAL TAPE THAT MELTS INTO MY HAIR IF I HOLD IT INCORRECTLY!

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 2:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in About CafeMom

• LOL As far as the gifts, I tell my 3 kids what I want. They will ask me anyway and if it is something expensive I tell them to split the cost. Really, no big deal to me. As far as the down votes. People just vote down if they don't like what you said. They don't put any thought into it or give you the benefit of being able to have your own opinion. That's all.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• What am I missing here that is so wrong about the responses?

You're missing how downvotes work.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:14 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• IMO the adult children also have the option of saying sorry I cant afford that, which leaves the others to decide whether they can pick up the slack. Whether or not it is "appropriate" depends on family dynamics and can change from one person to the next and shouldnt be judged by others.
    I also tell people what I would like, but usually do not get it--lol.
    tat2dprincess

Answer by tat2dprincess at 2:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I think if the other OP didn't want to spend so much on her MIL then she as well as the other siblings should maybe just get gift cards to Sears that can be put towards a new gas stove. Maybe the down votes came from someone who at this time in their life cannot even spend the $85 that you suggested, so they thought it was a bad idea. It may have even been that OP who voted you down, knowing she either cannot afford to spend that much or simply doesn't want to because she doesn't agree with her MILs attitude. It could be anything. I try not to let the down votes I receive get to me, because it's pointless to argue something that not everyone is going to agree on. It's ok!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I think it had to do with the MIL's attitude about it. The poster also stated that she wouldn't want a cheap gas stove, she wanted a really good one. A really good gas stove is a lot more expensive than the $300 you suggested. I didn't vote any of the answers down, but I do think that some of the replies might not have understood the OP's frustation.
    If the MIL wanted a decent gas stove, it would be $1000, at least. I know I personally wouldn't be able to spend $250 on my own mother. I don't even spend $250 on each of my children.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• i did not see that question, but it sounds like the person who asked it did the down voting because she was pissy about it.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 3:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Well, she might have, but someone else did too. Some of the negative responses had more than 1 vote down.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Oh...it wasn't so much the down votes, I just didn't understand what was so wrong about my response that merited the down vote. Besides, I already know that I have a "down vote" stalker...probably several...I call them my "fan base".
    ShouldHaveLeft

Comment by ShouldHaveLeft (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2010