How do i get cigarette smoke of a leather recliner?

I didnt want this chair because my parents smoke in their house and are heavy smokers. Well my husband wanted it and now this thing is smelling up my house. I had someone come over yesterday and she asked if i smoked in my home because she smelled the smoke. I need to get the smell off the recliner without ruining the leather. How do i do that?

itsokmomshere

Asked by itsokmomshere at 9:44 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Home & Garden

• Did you try to let it air out? That's what I've done with furniture. Sometimes you can set it outside on a nice day and just let it air out. Maybe try some febreze. That's really good stuff.
    Mom63601

Answer by Mom63601 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Take Oxy-clean power and put just a little in a spray bottle with lots of warm water. Spot test first!!! I had to do this with my dad's dark-tan leather chair, which actually turned out to be an egg-shell color. Make sure you clean the thing with rags you don't care about, in clothes you don't care about, and I suggest doing it outside because its easier to see if you've smudged a spot. Once the residue is gone, the smell will be too! Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It's not just the leather. It's in the stuffing, etc. under the chair. You can tip it over and spray Febreeze all in the stuff underneath and I would do so outside as the other posted noted. Lay a blanket down before you tip it over, so the leather is protected. Good luck!
    tomsbride

Answer by tomsbride at 6:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2008