When did Christmas presents become a need??

I have been reading requests at various places online that people are making for assistance with Christmas.... nothing wrong with that but my question is, when did having presents to open become a need?? I am all for doing for the children but seriously, aren't presents more of a want?? I won't even get into those asking for outrageous presents for their children... ie.... laptops, ipod touch, gaming system.... what the heck?? If you can't afford it for your child, what makes you think someone else can???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Holidays

• I hear ya
    If I had to ask for things,I'd be asking for clothing,boots,shoes,a warm jacket. That sort of thing.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I don't know, but I am right there with you! I pulled 2 stars off the angel tree at church last week. One of them has a prepaid cell phone & 1000 minutes on it! The other one has an IPOD and Zhu Zhu pets...it is for a 4 yr old girl!! I'm thinking MOM is the one wanting the IPOD! Needless to say, they will probably be disappointed. I want to help, but YIKES!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I am one of the mothers-in-need but my requests were of a more practical nature--clothes mostly with suggestions for smaller gifts (make up, music, etc.) I see the requests for the crazy objects and think wow...I wish that was all my kids wanted.
    tat2dprincess

Answer by tat2dprincess at 2:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I have seen those kinds of request. Nikes size 10, Game Boy DS, MP3 player... I have seen reasonable ones as well. Barbie and a coat, Hat and gloves with Dora the Explorer... The parents requesting those things are looking for a miracle and there is nothing wrong with that. Those are the things their kids are begging for and they just can't do. I bet your kids are asking for some of the same things and may not get it this year but they will eventually or they will get something equivalent. Every body wants there child to get what they want to most. If you can't do it that's fine, get something equivalent. Sansa makes and awesome $20 MP3 player for young children, you can get a used Playstation 2 at game stop for next to nothing with games. ... If you can't then don't take the tag.
    Anonymous

• If you can't afford it for your child, what makes you think someone else can???"

I don't really understand this statement. I CAN afford things for my child, but I can also afford to donate things to the children whose parents can't afford it. There are lots of people who can afford to help out another family, and thank God for those people. No, it's not an absolute necessity for a child to have presents on Christmas, but I think it's more than a simple want. It absolutely breaks my heart thinking of kids who get nothing for Christmas. It's not their fault that their parents can't afford things, and I think it's terribly sad that they have to wonder why they don't get anything. Not to mention how the parents must feel. I would HATE it if my child had to go without anything on Christmas because I didn't have enough money.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• However, I do agree with the asking for really expensive things. I think that's sometimes asking a little too much. I always take the names for things like "dolls, toy cars, socks, clothing", etc. Something about seeing that a little girl wants just a doll just makes my heart ache, and seeing the 4 year old who wanted socks literally brought tears to my eyes. Even thinking about it makes me sad. :(
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I look at it this way if you're not going to get what's on the tag don't take it and don't come on CM tallking about it especially if you're not buying it away
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 3:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The comment was meant because if you are requesting help with presents for your child and can't afford the crazy priced items for them, what makes you think someone that you don't know is going to do it??? We are buying for five families of children but none of the ones we picked have outrageous requests.....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• BTW, I will come to CM and talk about whatever I want to.... I am sure there will be those complaining here about the gifts their children do get if they don't get the high end items that are requested.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Christmas presents are not a need, they are a want. And I completely agree with the thought that it's far too much to be asking for ipods, cell phones, etc. if you're asking for help. There is a difference between "please help me have something for my child for Christmas (doll, mittens, socks, toy truck, etc) and "I can't afford it but please buy my kid a computer". It does get pretty absurd and yes, some of the requests are pretty outrageous. I certainly can't afford expensive presents, I've been making an afghan for my 6 year old's bed and with luck I'll have enough money to keep the mortgage paid, the heat on, food on the table, and maybe a couple of gifts like coloring books and socks and hopefully a Barbie doll.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2010