Early Screening? Did You?

We are scheduled to have an early genetic screening the Monday after Christmas. My question is if we are going to love this baby no matter what it might have do we really need to put ourselves through this screening? I have already decided that we are not going to get an amino done because of the slight risk to the baby. I'm also wondering since they do an ultrasound would this ultrasound also be used to confirm the due date or not?
I'm not positive about my last period and so I'm not comfortable about the due date we have been given. If you could let me know if you had the testing or not and why I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Just tell the doctor you don't want no tests done. They asked me if I wanted some test done I forgot the name of it, but it checks for spina bifia and down syndrom things like that I told them I didn't wat the test done because I was going to love my baby no matter what and adoption or abortion wasn't an option for us. I mean ya I would be sad at first, but I would learn to deal with it. I didn't want to get the test done and something be wrong with the baby and then worry through my whole pregnancy about the baby so we decided on no testings. It is your body and your baby the doctors cannot do anyting you don't want done.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We did not do the test looking for Downs syndrome red flags. We felt it made no difference to us and beside there is a decent rate of 'false indication' and needless worry. The ultra sound will help them to determine a more accurate due date.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:58 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• No, I never had any of those tests done with any of my pregnancies. They aren't accurate most of the time anyway, and I have heard of many many people getting results that weren't true. If you don't want the tests, just tell them no. My doctor was always awesome about respecting my wishes when it came to the testing.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 2:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I did not have any of those test done. We decided that if God decided to give us another special needs child, we would love it just the same.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• No we never did the screen when I was pregnant with our son, I figured that since it didn't matter what they found that there was no point in having the test done. This time around I am going to have the test done. It still makes no difference to me-if I have a special needs baby I will love it just the same, but I just want to be able to be fully prepared (research and knowledgeable)in the event that it does happen.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Yes I had the tests done with my both my pregnancies. I had them done to know what I would be facing and to be able to prepare myself for a child with special needs if the tests came back postive. With my first everything thing was fine but with my second he tested positive for spina bifida and they confirmed it on a ultra sound. I was shocked at first and cried alot but I was still happy. As soon as I found out I started educating myself on what was going to be needed to raise a child with spina bifida. Unfortunately, my DS was a still birth at 23 weeks but his death was unrelated to the spina bifida.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• See the thing is about these test they aren't Positive or negative. They are looking for indicators. Things that 'could' be indicative of Downs syndrome. even a test that comes back 'positive' for inductors has a very good chance of being nothing at all. In fact the older you are the higher your risk is to inductors picked up on. Raising the chances of needless stress.
    Anonymous