What am i doing wrong????

I have a five year old and she is my only child. The other day she came up to me and asked me for a brother or sister... How should i talk to her and help her understand...?

babygirl3112003

Asked by babygirl3112003 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You've done nothing wrong....It is 'normal' for young children to want a baby brother or sister in the house....they just LOVE babies!!!! Especially young girls, because they LOVE to play mommy!!! LOL

If you can't have any more babies due to your tubes tied or your DH/SO being snip, then just be honest and tell her that having a baby can't happen because of those operations.

If you aren't wanting another baby, then just tell her that you don't want another baby right now, because of xzy...but keep it simple and try to AVOID money being the reason, because kids will take that in as you are saying they are a burden.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:06 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My five year old is the same way, in fact he has made up a brother and sister "boxy and moses" He has older siblings and 2 nieces (3 years and 7 months) so he is around younger kids and loves babies. He hates it that we can't keep the 7 month old.  Just keep trying to explain.

candiccane

Answer by candiccane at 1:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I had the same thing going on with my two children 4yr.old and 6 yr.old
    It didn't matter to me if we had another. I did let them know that if God thinks that we need another baby then we will. Now we have a 2yr. old boy. He is very loved by his siblings.
    Anonymous

• I'd tell her that she is SO SPECIAL that you don't want another one! You got a great one on your first try.
    KidsHelper

Answer by KidsHelper at 1:06 PM on Nov. 7, 2008