question about toddler and new baby

My son will be 2 shortly after my new baby is born. He is very much a mamas boy, and I am nervous about how he will handle the adjustment. My older son was 4 when I had my second, and he was really helpful and he did just fine. Another concern is I have a lot of baby things/toys. etc that I know my toddler will want to play with. Should I just let him, or do I want to try and battle him everyday and cause even more stress by keeping him away from everything? (baby bouncer, etc)..

BTW (responding to first answer) - they all will be sharing a room..  so I cant really put much 'off limits'.  He knows babies and gets very jealous if i hold someone elses...  i make him deal with it, but is no fun.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk it up. Talk about babies, visit with babies, point out babies practice with dolls... Look at pictures of him as a baby and how his brother was so excited. I would make the babies room off linits with out permission but toys? Let him play. After all we all want our kids to share right? Say yes you may play with ____ toy for a little while. Try asap to find out the sex and pick a name so it's not always 'the baby'. At least being able to sat your brother/sister is more specific.
    Anonymous

• I think that as long as you make your 2 year old feel included in some of the things that you do with baby and still give him the 1 on 1 time that he needs from mommy then things will be fine...I know that it is hard to make time for 1 on 1 with a new baby, but it is soooo important so that your 2 year old doesn't feel resentment toward baby. As far as the toys go, I would just let him play with them. He's not going to hurt them (maybe not the bouncer), and I don't think that it will be long before he realizes that the baby toys aren't as fun as his toys.
    mommyrocks5

Answer by mommyrocks5 at 3:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My son will be 2 next month and my daughter is just now 7 months. So they were closer than yours...he has become a great helper. He gets jelous over daddys attention but he has transitioned great! and She plays with most of his old toys. He will even get them out of the toy box and bring them to her! Its a battle sometimes to not have him snatch it back, but until it gets to that point I let them play. The toy thing is one of those "pick your battles" type deal! I refuse to put all my energy into making sure they stay seperated. IMO he would end up resenting her....
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Only child here. Bump though.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• There are some common things that parent sdo that can cause problems. Don't call him the BIG brother or the HELPER. You know he may not like this baby coming along. Assure him that YOU will care for the baby and him and you have plenty of love for everyone. Don't let him hold or kiss the baby EVER. You avoid worries that he will hurt the baby. Don't say things like he loves the baby, he may not. For the most part in our house toys were toys, they didn't belong to someone. Just don't have things that will be an issue. All I had with my third and for my grandson was a car seat and a sling. You don't need bouncers, swings, ect. They can be more bother than they are worth and aren't good for babies anyway.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:45 AM on Nov. 27, 2010