My baby is starting to scare me!?

Once yesterday and now 3 times today my son has started to cough and choke!
Yesterday his face got all red like he couldn't breath! I pick him up and hold his arms up and pat his back and after a second or two he is okay.
But WHAT is he choking on?
He's only 4 months and so far this has only happened while he is semi sitting up (either in his swing that kinda reclines him or in his stroller that does the same thing.)
I have a near panic attack every time he does this.
What could it be? Spit? From sucking on his fingers?

Tristainsmamma

Asked by Tristainsmamma at 3:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Call the doctor.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I agree I would call the Doc....It could be that hes just choking on the spit which is most likely but if its happening alot you may want to make sure everything is ok.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 3:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I agree call dr
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• could be something
    or maybe not
    but call now

and trust instincts
    friend had twins, she always thought one had heart issue, doc said no, she took to specialist, he has had heart sugery may need transplant---goes to show moms just know sometimes
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• if he is sucking on his fingers, he may be shoving one in too far and gagging himself. my kids all did that a lot, it is a normal baby thing. it could be too that he is coming down with a little cold and has some post nasal drip bothering him.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 5:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2010