i need to take my dog to the vet

hes got an ear infection, and he cut his toe nail today, causing him to limp..but i have noooo money!!! what the heck am i supposed to do!!!

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Pets

• "Pets are a privilege not a right. They deserve the same respect as our children. It is very unfair to have a pet you can't take the pain away from. Unlike children though there is no medicaid for dogs it is all out of pocket. Pets are expensive to keep and the money going into them is endless. It's never a one time expense. there are rechecks, yearly check ups, unexpected issues that arise... "

I am well aware of that. My point is, she doesn't have any money RIGHT NOW for this PARTICULAR SITUATION. Maybe she's out of money until another payday comes up, and she's looking for things she can do until that money comes in.

Now, if she were constantly posting questions of this nature, then your statement of "Get rid of your pet" would be more understandable.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 6:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Find a new home for the pet. If you can't afford his medical care it isn't really fair for you to have him...
    Anonymous

• I will probably get "voted down" (whatever that means) because my answer will not be a popular one. It is easy to say that people should get rid of animals because they cant take "proper" care of them. IMO sometimes life stuff (emergencies, unexpected expenses
    ) happen and not all of us have savings to fall back on. Call around, and see if there is a vet that will bill you. Godd luck--our fur-babies are important too
    tat2dprincess

Answer by tat2dprincess at 3:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• "Find a new home for the pet. If you can't afford his medical care it isn't really fair for you to have him..."

Yes, because a ONE TIME lack of finances indicates that she is unable to properly care for her pet.

:rolleyes:
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 4:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Call around. Some will hold multiple checks. Some will do promissory notes. If nothing else look into Care Credit. A lot of vets offices take that as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• For the foot...clean it with hydrogen peroxide...nothing else. For the ear...get him this

http://www.vetrxdirect.com/product/view/mometamax?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Mometamax&gclid=CNanm6qqv6UCFQSt7QodbWtzZg

No matter what the infection is in his ear...this is the standard in antibiotics that all vets use to treat it.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 3:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• For his foot, I would soak it in Epsom salt water 4 times a day. That is what my sister's vet recommended for their dog's hurt paw.

I don't know about the ear infection. Call around like ButMommie suggested.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Call around to different vets. Some will provide samples of medication. The ear infection is pretty easy, it's just standard ear drops. You can actually put antibiotic ointment on the toe yourself. Just regular people brand will be fine. Keep it clean and the medication applied about twice a day. It's not the end of the world. Dogs can get ear infections without us even knowing about it. Also, ask around to friends. I have ear drops that the vet gave me to just keep around the house. Don't fret.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Oh...and for the future...you may want to look into:

http://www.24petwatch.com/petinsurance/landingpages/google-dog/petcare-b-a.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Bpet%20%2Bcare%20%2Binsurance&utm_campaign=Trademark&gclid=CJe50aWrv6UCFdhi2godKCpmZQ

I bought this when my dog was a puppy but you can purchase it at any age. Everyone thought I was crazy but when he was three months old her broke his leg and it would have cost me about $750 but it only cost me the $50 deductible. Also, when he was around three...we found out he was epileptic...after the first time $50 deductible...all future costs for his epilepsy...whether it be tests or meds is 100% covered.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 3:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Ear infections can be treated with a solution of 50% each Isopropyl Alcohol & White Vinegar (Alcohol dries out the fluids, vinegar kills the infection- we use this at home instead of antibiotics) 3x daily.

As for the toe, keep it clean and dry. Use peroxide to clean it. It *should* be OK. If signs of infection appear, you can order a broad spectrum antibiotic from an online pharmacy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010