Did anyone else's DH grow up without a father?

If so, how did it affect him?

Personally, my husband's dad died from cancer when my husband was only 4 years old. Somehow, without any example to go on, my husband has become a great dad and husband. I guess my MIL did a good job!

I think it's sad, though, because now my husband realizes how much his dad must have loved him and how hard it would be to know you're leaving your son without his dad. It almost makes me cry thinking about it. I think my husband realized a lot when we had my son. Even though he has very few memories of his own father, he now knows how strongly he was loved.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 3:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Relationships

• Mine did, it made him a much better father.

Answer by older at 3:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• my recent ex, has a living father but he was rarely in his life and dissappointed him more than not
    maybe one reason he turned out the way he did, or maybe he was raped by a babysitter
    who knows
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• my SO's dad was in his life (a great dad in fact) when he was little, but his dad developed a crack habit and soon fell out of his life...so for the most part he didnt have a dad. he says thats why he is such a good dad and stepdad now, because he knows how hard it is to grow up without a father. he is amazing with our son and has really stepped up to fill in where my ex has left out in my older sons life. in fact, just the other day my older son told my SO he wished he was his real dad.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 5:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My husband grew up with his father up intill he was about 6yrs old but then he just left his mom n moved to another state, my husband cries when he thinks about it but it made him a strong man and a great father to his babygirl its crazzy how a father not being in there sons life affects them in the future either it makes them or brakes them
    lovemybabiez

Answer by lovemybabiez at 8:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My dh grew up without his dad and I think that is why he is such a great dad to our kids. His father was around but not interested in being his dad, if you know what I mean. My mil did a great job with my dh and he is a wonderful man who is determined not to be anything like his dad.
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 8:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• DH´s father left when he was about 22, and honestly it caused a lot of hurt in him. He is a GREAT father to my son, but I know that he resents his father.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• No, my DH didn't grow up without his father . . . MY father, however, DID grow up without his father (my paternal grandfather died when my father was nine years old). I'm not sure how the loss of his father affected him because he never talked about it. I do remember my father as being a good father but a bit passive.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 10:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2010