Reincarnation....

So I completely believe in it. But here are my questions/thoughts... I never liked how I do not recall any other lives. Yes, I know there are ways to remember them, etc. My point is though, when I die I want to remember this life and any other lives I 've had or will have. From my understanding you remember your life in an after life or we wouldn't be able to communicate with the dead! So do we just blank out information once reincarnated and then gain back all memories of all lives once we pass over? Am I making sense lol?

Roisin07

Asked by Roisin07 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've always had memories of my past lives. Generally I think we all come with memories "imprinted" even if they are not the type of memories we can recall. Each of us have beliefs or feelings (random fears for example) which are simply a part of who we are even if we aren't actually taught those things. My self for example, I have a horrendous fear of low flying airplanes and open fields, neither of which have any basis in this life, however judging from what few memories I do have of past lives, I would guess they would make sense in those contexts... I also feel we all tend to have memories of past lives as children, but just like we grow out of a need to remember everything that happened to us as a child, we also grow out of a need to remember those past lives in a recall fashion. What is important is that we are imprinted with the lessons we learned while living them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I always thought the reason for not rembering most of our past lives is a way to make SURE we really live in this one. We do get glimpses when we have fear that has no reason behind it. I think those are past life experiences coming forth. BUT if we know too much I think it would be more crippling for some of us.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:24 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Yes. Can you imagine being 5 years old and remembering an entire other life? It would be crazy. You'd never really have a childhood. There are methods of remembering some people choose to enact once they are adults, because you then have the mental capacity to know and to understand.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:27 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You know that feeling a deja vu? We get feelings like that when we're awake and when we're asleep. I think that deja vu is a way for our past lives to try and make themselves known. When you meet someone that you swore up and down that you knew already, but after relaying practically your entire lives to each other, realize that this is the first meeting, this is another way for our past lives to reach us.

I met a girl several years ago. She was lovely and spunky and I loved her; I knew that I'd loved her and I knew that I had to protect her. She felt the same way. We were only a couple of years apart in age, but we felt an odd connection that I've never felt before. I wanted to be with her and protect her from everything that would do her harm. I haven't even felt this with my husband and I met him a couple of years after this girl.

Our past lives can also manifest in our dreams and again with deja vu.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 7:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You're making sense. That sounds about right to me. The REASON we blank is a mystery to me. Wouldn't it be helpful to remember that junk?

I ahve an uncle who has visions from his past lives and the lives of his loved ones. He thinks he died in a farming accident when he was trying to bring the horses in during a flash flood. And he thinks my litle sister had polio in a past life.

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Yeah, I get all that. I guess my question is more when we die will we then remember everything until the next incarnation? That is my assumption. I guess I want to know too why we don't remember being in the after life either? I guess it just boils down to the fact that a reincarnation won't be effective if you remember this stuff. I just want to remember my life once I die, ya know?!?!
    Roisin07

Comment by Roisin07 (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You could read some books on it. I like books by Brian Weiss

Answer by admckenzie at 4:39 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I do believe we remember our life/lives in the afterlife. I also think that, to some extent, we can choose how and when to come back, and who we live with. My son chose me. I'm positive of it, and I am also certain we have lived lives together in the past. I just... KNOW him, you know?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You aren't supposed to remember while you're here again or it would interfere with the life you've charted. When you die, you remember your lives again as that is the eternal world of spirit. It's the same with remembering the afterlife because if we were able to compare your current incarnation with the afterlife, you'd commit suicide to get the hell out of here. Earth is work. Having a life is hard, to learn and elevate your soul by different experiences and people coming and going. Some people DO remember other lives or can reach them via hypnosis (I have) and I agree w/ the above deja vu statement.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:00 AM on Nov. 29, 2010