am i to sensitive or are show breeders to harsh?

i was doing research on something pertaining to dogs awhile back but today i wondered about something i have read and thought are breeders taking the dog breed standards a little to high, high enough that they will cull (euthanize) the puppy cause it has a slight defect. i read of a lady that was at a dog breeder of scotties and she was going to cull one of the pups cause the tail was off to side. a crocked tail. i guess seeing the look on this lady's face she gave her the puppy since she was going to cull it anyway. turns out a few months later the tail straightened out anyway. just think this breeder was going to kill a puppy cause she couldn't sell it, or the standard was not met. is this cruel or am i to sensitive? shouldn't any dog that is born imperfect still have a good home and a life? just curious what others thought.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Pets

• The purpose of breeding/showing is to further the breed. The standards are high for that reason. However, even when breeding purebreds a lot of puppies are not going to be show quality dogs. I've never heard of any reputable breeder culling them, however... with breeders of various different species that I've known the show quality offspring are kept for show and breeding, and the non-show quality animals were sold as pets. We had two purebred dogs who were 'pet quality' dogs... great dogs, but did not meet show standards or have the kind of markings that would be likely to win competitions. The idea of culling them breaks my heart!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:46 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I think if they feel they cannot sell or show them, they should just give them up for adoption. Some of us dont care if they have a crooked tail!
    tat2dprincess

Answer by tat2dprincess at 3:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I had no idea they did that! How awful. I'd happily take an "imperfect" animal!
    mommypip

Answer by mommypip at 5:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I never understood why they did that either.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Well, dogs who have imperfections that will keep them out of the show ring should not be euthanized. They should be sold to families as "pet quality" pups. And the prospective buyer should pay less for that puppy. If a dog breeder has a lot of inconsistent litters, or too many conformation flaws in their litters, then they should stop breeding dogs! Irresponsible and inhumane breeders still practice culling. Responsible, ethical g breeders who care about their pups and the dogs don't do that.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 5:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Isnt it similiar to people who kill babies because they might not be perfect?
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 5:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I don't think you are too sensitive, but I would rather have a mutt than a pure breed of anything.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would worry more about the conditions at puppy mills - that breaks my heart!
    Tonesgirl

Answer by Tonesgirl at 9:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Even reputable breeders cull. They are just more secretive and don't advertise. My friend a breeder of Boxers for 25+yrs gives away any white pups.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 9:19 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Reputable breeders do not cull the dogs. They don't kill them. They are known as pet dogs. There are tons of "culled" dogs in pet homes across the nation. More often then not, pet dogs are cheaper then show dogs. The dogs have a defect like a colour mutation, or a tail that isn't right, or teeth that don't align properly.

GOOD breeders do not kill or cull their dogs. BAD breeders do.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:15 AM on Nov. 27, 2010