Do you think this is a problem?

I crave getting drunk. I live for the times my kids are with their dad and I can get drunk. Yesterday all I could think about all day was getting drunk after the kids went to their dads house. Does this make me an alcoholic or is it a problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Health

• I think it could be a sign that your headed in that direction. Alot of people who drink don't drink JUST to get drink.. but because they generally enjoy the taste of what they are drinking. I would try and do something about it before it gets out of hand though. I don't think your quite there to call yourself an alcoholic because if you were you would be doing it and not thinking about it.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Sounds like it might be a problem.... Maybe see if you can curb it a bit.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 4:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• According to AA if you ever drink with the express purpose of getting drunk you are an alcoholic.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I have to say that since you are NOT getting bombed in front of the kids, you are way ahead of some alcoholics I know. That being said, I'd head it off at the pass & talk to someone about it and find out why you are wanting to drink so badly. Stress?
    cheeseit

Answer by cheeseit at 5:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• i don't think it's an issue to WANT something, it's another thing to act on what you want. for example, i CRAVE alcohol now, but i'm preggers. i had one glass of wine with Thanksgiving dinner, but have had nothing else to drink (alcoholic at least) in the past 33 weeks... so no... even though i CRAVE it, it doesn't make me an alcoholic.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I drink drink or two a day=-really diluted. like 2 shots in 32oz of Sweet Tea. but I hate to get drunk and always stop if it seems like that is where I am headed. I think you need to figure out why you crave being drunk? Is it so that you don't have to take responsibility for you actions? You do; because drunk or not-YOU are the only one in control of your actions! I have never seen the fun in giving that control away to a bottle of booze. Because even if I give it away-I'm still responsible for what I do!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 11:52 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Drinking to get drunk = alcoholic. NEEDING a drink, even one a day, and not being able to deal with life without that drink, whether getting drunk or not = alcoholic.

You say you look forward to it...do you actually drink or not? Looking forward to something doesn't make you an alcoholic..."wanting" isn't an issue..."doing", however, IS.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:51 AM on Nov. 27, 2010