Tattoos and piercings

At what age do you think teens/young adults should be able to get tattoos or piercings? What age would you allow your kids to get one?

tat2dprincess

Asked by tat2dprincess at 3:54 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Ear piercing is fine whenever. Any other type of piercing will depend on the reasoning behind it, the location, and how mature the child is for the age. Tattoos are 18.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 5:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Haha my LOs are only 3, 16 mo, & 6 mo. LOL .. So I have awhile to think.
    I'd say whenever its legal for the parlor to do it.

I know a place around here that will only begin piercings at 12-13. (consent, of course!)
    I think they don't do tattoos until 16.

Ah..I'd say whenever its legal to be done, (and I can sign.)

My girls already have their ears pierced. :)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would allow DD to get a piercing around 16 1/2 and make her wait the legal age (18 in CA) to get a tattoo on her own since I do not want to sign AND pay for it.
    simpleesr23

Answer by simpleesr23 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• piercings 16 or so. Tattoos will be allowed when they are 18 and have thought long and hard about it. If I am sure they are sure I will take them to get i myself. Of course if they are out of the house I have no say. a piercing can be taken out a tattoo id forever or at very least a fortune to remove!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:03 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Piercings, I could allow at 16 or so. Tattoos, no. They have to wait until they are 18.
    mysevenkids

Answer by mysevenkids at 4:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Tattoos and any piercings other than ears can all wait until they are legally able to do it on their own. I don't think a tattoo is something a 16 year old really needs to get - they get stuff they think looks cool now, but in 30 years? I think kids need all the time they can get to ponder the significance and consequences of any body modification they choose to inflict on themselves. (Yes, I do have tattoos, myself.)
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 3:59 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• i got my belly button pierced at 16 with my mom! and i got my nose pierced at 18, and my first tattoo at 18 with my mom too! i think 16 is a good age for piercing but tattoos should wait until they are 18 and can pay for it themselves!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 4:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Tats...18 or legal age. Piercings...belly rings and toungue rings are for one purpose...sexuality so again legal age.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would allow some piercings at 13 or 14. I would allow ears whenever they were old enough to know what it was, that it was going to hurt a little, take care of it, etc. Tattoos.... Well, if my 16 year old or 17 year old had wanted one specific tattoo for years, I might allow that. I'm not sure, though. I would probably just have them wait until they were 18, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:39 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Our house rules are simple. They have to be in highschool for anything, they have to pay for them (unless they are gifts) with their own money, they have to be in places which are easily covered or have to be small enough to remove easily (no big gauges in their face), and they can not be offensive in any way... Beyond that, I don't have a set age or anything. I love tattoos and piercings and have never bought in to the "you'll hate them later" idea, cause I have never hated having them, in fact I wish I had gotten more early on. Although, most professionals won't do tats til they are 16, and I do require that they use a pro, we are good friends with a few, so they will have to most likely wait til they are 16 for that, but that's not MY rule, it's a legal thing.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2010