How do I help my senior girls prepare for college?

I never went to college or took at ACT/PSAT/SAT tests. Im advising them the best I know how to. I welcome any suggestions on what I can do to try and prepare them for college (applying for scholarships/grants, filling out apps, etc..)

tat2dprincess

Asked by tat2dprincess at 4:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in

• figure out both what colleges they want to attend, and whether the tuition might actually be affordable. If any are close enough to you, go on a tour, get some course catalogs and info on the schools. Help them decide what they might like to study, though there's no rush to pick a major - it's entirely normal to have nothing but "General education" classes for the first 3 or 4 semesters. In January or February, AS SOON AS
    YOU POSSIBLY CAN! Do your taxes and fill out the FAFSA. The sooner you do it, the better a chance you have of getting federal financial aid (if you're eligible.) Also unless you're just rich and don't mind paying for their education out of pocket, spend some time searching for other scholarships. many colleges offer their own scholarships based on academic performance. Fastweb is a good site to find independent scholarships, though most are small.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:08 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Have they taken any of the tests yet? We took the ACT and PSAT in 10th to give us a gauge of where we were. If not ask some of their teachers what type of practice tests and prep material is big right now. As for the college process, talk to the guidance counselor. A lot of recruiters come to the school and you can fill out apps and make appointments to visit the school there. They also have your daughters' most recent transcripts and you will need the current GPA and Class rank off there. Make sure your daughters have a chance to visit some of the schools so they get a better feel of if its right for them.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 4:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• They should meet with their high school guidance counselors

Answer by rkoloms at 6:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms. That is what guidance counselors do. They should be able to help them with all of this and they will even chat with you and answer questions you may have.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We have filled out the pre-FAFSA for one girl..the other has been told but shows no initiative.
    tat2dprincess

Comment by tat2dprincess (original poster) at 4:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2010