Repeat C-section... help!

Ok so I had my son a little over 3 years ago, I labored for 26+ hours and only dilated to 4 cm. His heart rate dropped so they had to do an emergency c-section, By that time i was exhausted and just wanted him out and healthy. I had mild nausea but didnt vomit during the surgery, but i did feel alot more then just pulling because I already had my epidural for over 16 hours. I am now pregnant again and due in 9 weeks, The DR, said my best bet is to have another c-section because of the shape of my pelvis and how large she already is. I had a very tough recovery with my son, im wondering if they give you meds so you don't vomit during the surgery i have a HUGE phobia of vomiting. and also is the healing quicker the second time around? and how long is the actual proecdure? the DR told me because of scar tissue it shouldnt take more then an hour and a half at max.. please just help ease my mind!! im super nervous but also excited!! thanks!

mommyto2at22

Asked by mommyto2at22 at 4:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I can't really give you any info, but if you're interested you should find a doctor or natural birthing center that well help you through doing a VBAC.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 4:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Im not looking to do a VBAC. I already out weighed one to another and Csection is the better choice for me. I just would like some insight. Thanks
    mommyto2at22

Comment by mommyto2at22 (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I had a similar issue with the nausea during my first c-section too. I think a lot if it is that when you go in for scheduled surgery, they tell you not to eat after a certain time. With an emergency c-section, you've probably eaten and drank more recently than they would like you to. Knowing you're going to have the c-section, you can plan ahead by not eating or drinking for several hours before the surgery. I am having a c-section with my second child in April, because my hospital doesn't do Vbacs, and I'm pretty sure this is how we're gonna avoid the whole feeling like you're gonna throw up thing. Good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• As for healing the second time around, I'd be willing to bet yours will be a lot faster this time, because you won't be so exhausted from labor, you know what to do and not to do as far as when to get up and about, how much you can lift, etc. and you won't have the stress of going through an emergency c-section...that freaked me out a lot. I slept for several hours after my son was born to cope with the stress...I'm hoping this time I can at least get to know my little one before I pass out..haha!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 4:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I had nausea with my first but not my second. They were aware of my history and gave me plenty of fluids prior to surgery to keep my blood pressure up. A second on e is so much more relaxed and the doctors are able to take much more care into making sure you are getting every thing you need and there is the luxury of them not being in a huge rush so they are able to listen to you better. Make sure they are aware of your concerns so they can be prepared to take care of them. Good Luck!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• With the first one I had an epidural for the c-section, the second, I had a spinal. I never had any issues with either c-section. Talk to your doctor about the alternative drugs available.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:31 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The reasons you sighted are not valid ones to go through with a major abdominal surgery. The risk increases with each one.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't have a c-section. It's none of their business and there's risks to both c-section and VBAC. I went through the same sort of labor as you, not dilating and baby's heart rate dropped so I had an emergency c-section. Doc advised me to have another c-section because the chances of my body dilating to a big enough size for baby to come out were small. I had nausea too, and the nurse was there with a cold wet washcloth and that helped a lot. I think it has to do with the spinal cocktail they give you. Talk to your doc, voice your concerns.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• True, true, your **choice**!
    After your experience, laboring might seem intimidating, understandable~

But be sure you do uncover the truths, discover the REAL risks, and can appreciate that vaginal birthing is safer.
    And know that consulting with your surgeon will give you a biased perspective.
    Interviewing with others may give you a completely different view~

Sounds like yours is possibly like the many others who have labors result in a surgical delivery mostly out of the provider-setting influence.
    Because no one wants to subject their babies to unnecessary risks, these are important considerations.
    Weighing pros & cons, we know that "should" or "shouldn't" are opinions, but some things are *safer* as fact.

Good luck with this!!

lol --and yes: There are drugs for nausea ~and~ it is very common and normal to vomit during labor, anyhow.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Healing time will vary from person to person, and surgery to surgery. They CAN give you medication to ease the nausea!!! Just ASK for it! :) And, you should have a better experience with the epidural this time around, because the medication will be fresh in your system (although you would THINK that they would have given you more for your first C section.) Because this is not am emergent cesarean, the procedure will take a little longer, because they doctors and nurses will not have to rush. Good luck, and you will do fine!
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 5:52 PM on Nov. 26, 2010