What family traditions do you keep this time of year?

Many people celebrate different holidays this time of year.
We celebrate Christmas but we start getting ready during Advent, which for us is November 28 this year. We find charities as a family we want to support throughout the year. We do this all year long, but especially this time of year.

What religious and/or secular traditions do you have, if any?

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We celebrate the season of Advent, too. We have an advent wreath, and light the corresponding candle(s) on Sunday evening during dinner. This year I want to light it every evening during dinner, not just on Sundays.

We usually get out the Christmas tree on Black Friday, and don't go shopping that date. That weekend is when we put up lights and decorations outside, too. We don't put presents under the tree until the kids go to sleep Christmas Eve. Christmas morning we open presents and go to Mass, and have a big Christmas lunch/dinner.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 9:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We have a big family get together when the nativity set is always brought out at one of my aunt's or grandma's house.
    simpleesr23

Answer by simpleesr23 at 5:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We volunteer and go shopping as a family for our shoe box presents. We do things like decorating and baking cookies too though. Its my favorite time of year. :)
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 5:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We did advent alot when they were little a story and candy everynight to count down. Not so much now that their older but we do walk of lights (real nativity scene, play and music about Christmas and its meaning) 2 week before christmas
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 5:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• my side of the family is German, my grandma brings Advent chocolate calendars for the girls every year. so we will start those on the 1st =)

other than that, we'll be celebrating Christmas normally. a big, well HUGE, dinner at his great uncle's house on Christmas eve, followed by just our family opening gifts Christmas morning and then going off to his grandparent's house for breakfast and gifts, then my parent's for dinner and gifts. so much to do in one day! sometimes, we go with my mom and grandma to their church for the candlelight service on Christmas Eve.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Our traditions are celebrating one holiday at a time. For example our christmas tree does not go up until Saturday after thanksgiving, not before. We also go black friday shopping, buy a new ornamant every year for the tree, and take lots of pictures while putting up the tree.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• potica from my side

feast of 7 fishes from DH side
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 6:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We open one gift on the Eve of Yule (when I was growing up, we did this on Christmas Eve, after my mom and I returned from Midnight Mass). The gift opened was supposed to be pajamas or sweats, with slippers. I'm hoping to continue this with my daughter.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 7:09 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I love the 7 fishes. We have clam chowder, tuna marinara, shrimp, scallops, calamari, baked sole, and anchovy antipasti. Mmmm :d
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• We do the normal I guess. Church on Christmas Eve for a program and such. NO other religios traditions.
    WhitleyLyles

Answer by WhitleyLyles at 5:21 PM on Nov. 27, 2010