My 2 year old will not eat!

I don't know why but everytime I sit a plate down in front of him he will eat 2 bites and walk away or if I ask him if he is hungry he says no and just won't eat period. I get scared because I don't want him to get sick. Has anyone else dealt with this?

proudmama_2boys

Asked by proudmama_2boys at 10:13 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he have a sore throat? As long as he has plenty of fluids down him he'll be fine! He will eat when he gets hungry! I wouldn't worry to much.. He WILL eat.. :)
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 10:17 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• It's probably a phase if it hasn't been happening for too long. Try to offer food frequently and try to offer calories in other ways, juices, milk, pediasure, etc. as often as he will take it. If he starts losing weight or acting sluggish, or if this continues for an extended period of time, then I would take him to the Dr.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 10:19 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Make sure that you are not letting him drink too much milk or juice throughout the day, Some kids do this, but they are not going to let themselves starve. Just keep vigilant on the drinks. Especially right before dinner. If he's drinking a lot right before dinner, then he's just filling up on empty calories and he really IS full, cause he's got all the liquid in his belly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• some kids just motabolize food more efficantly then others. My 3 yr old will only eat a few bites here and there. And he is not a small child either. Not fat, just really built and solid. Just give smaller portions and make sure that what he gets is nurtious. Make every bit count. And I agree, make sure that your not overdoing milk.. WE don't do milk in our home, so its never been a problem, but too much milk can decreas a child appitite.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:25 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• thank you all for your answers....he does drink alot of juice and water throughout the day and i am trying to stop that before dinner and see if that helps...i dont really do the whole milk thing either, not even chocolate milk because when he was drinking milk alot he wouldnt poop. he is a big boy too he weighed 9 pounds 4 ounces when he was born and never had a problem eating before. i am cutting out snacks and everything until he eats his dinner then he gets a little desert now
    proudmama_2boys

Answer by proudmama_2boys at 4:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• My son just turned 2 and has always been a light eater. He's got a thin build, like his father, so I don't worry about that but I was worried about the vitamin intake. I bought some vitamins that I drop in his juice cup in the morning (they're liquid) and am hoping that will help.
    Colesmama11

Answer by Colesmama11 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I would take his plate and put it in the refrigerator. If he eats two bites of potatoes and is done, fine, let him get down and don't give him anything else. NO SNACKS!!! When he says he's hungry, pull out the plate. He can eat what's on his plate. I'd do this for about an hour after dinner time. If he doesn't eat still, then nothing else until dinner. At dinner bring his plate back out and offer it again. Continue to do so until he eats. He WILL eat when he gets hungry! They will NOT let themselves starve! I promise!
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 10:47 PM on Nov. 5, 2008