Routines... How to get a 2yr old to take naps, eat and go to bed the same time every night.

I am trying to get our lives a little more organized. I need a routine. And I need to teach her to stay in her bed. She falls asleep on the couch and sleeps in her twin bed til about 3 every morinin and gets in bed with us...

1blessedmommie.

Asked by 1blessedmommie. at 10:15 AM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The only thing I can say is make a bed time for her. 7,8, or 9pm..When bed time comes,,,say it's bed time..Then bring her in to her room,,make her lay down,,say GOOD NIGHT and leave the room..Keep on doing it tell she gets the drift..About the 3 am, getting in your be thing,,I would just get up and bring her back to her bed. Tell her no more sleeping in our bed..Big girls sleep in their own beds..

Answer by louise2 at 10:35 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• At 21/2 I transitioned my twin girls to a big girl bed. They continually got up and were up all night. My husband had a brilliant idea of putting up a gate at their door. One of them continued to get up but had nowhere to go. At first she began crying at the door so we started closing the door. She eventually decided that it was unproductive to get up if we wouldn't respond and she couldn't get out. She did this for only 2-3 nights and then started staying in bed ALL NIGHT! They are almost 3 and go to bed at 7pm and asleep all night until 7am. We stick to a schedule and they like getting tucked in and going through the fun bedtime routine of reading books, singing, praying and lots of hugs and kisses. It has to be a possitive thing to go to bed. Stay consitent!
    Rbmom3

Answer by Rbmom3 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 5, 2008

• A bed time routine is KEY! Start it and stick to it. When she gets up just take her back to bed and say good night. It will take some getting used to. But it'll pay off in the end.
    01buckler15

Answer by 01buckler15 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I used to work in day care back in the day before i had my son.So I learned their napping time and I worked at two different centers.
    Nap time is always at 12:30.My son is 21/2 and he has take that nap time everyday since he probably turned 12 months.
    At night I would suggest bath any time after 7. We have always tried to have our son in bed by 8. sometimes we get off track but it is usually the routine we stick to.Make sure the tv is turned off or low and most of your lights arent on so Its not like its play time anymore.
    Stick to your schedule and as you go threw it you will find what works best for you!
    Good luck,
    Heather
    CandleVacation

Answer by CandleVacation at 10:35 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• also,If you havent watched super nanny or nanny 911? You definetly need to watch that show and do exactly what she says.
    I can promise you wont regret watching the show after your kids go to bed.Record it on your dvr if you have one.
    CandleVacation

Answer by CandleVacation at 10:38 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I also find it easier to get them to stay in bed if they have a lot of warnings before hand. Do a count down. Tell her bed time in 30 min. Then bed time in 20 min. 15 min, 10, 5... you know what I mean.
    01buckler15

Answer by 01buckler15 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 6, 2008