Cough 9yo stealing.. Need advice!

My sons have this friend from school, Jake, who has been having playdates with my boys for a few weeks.. So I cought him stealing money from my wallet and I have no idea how to handle it.
He doesn't know I saw him because at the time I thought "I'd better not say anything" but who knows how he might use it? Why would a 9yo boy want $50? His family seems to be doing ok and he is well dressed, lives in a nice house and my sons tell me he has a lot of toys.
Anyway, how do I talk to his mom? I don't know how I would feel if someone came up to me and told me my son stole money.. So I don't know how to tell her.

Thank you!

mysevenkids

Asked by mysevenkids at 6:13 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• wow im sorry to hear that and im not sure how id handle that touchy subject so i gave you a bump. best of luck
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You've got to address the issue. The parents need to know. Just try to be polite about it. Just say exactly what you're saying. "I don't know exactly how to tell you this, but I think you need to know that your son took some money out of my wallet the last time he was over."
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 6:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• hmm well id say you probably should have said something to the boy right when you cought him cuz now its gonna be his word against yours and well he may not be honest with his parents which could make a sticky situation. Good luck
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would say if he did it once he might try again. I would talk to his parents. Maybe they will be open to listen and not automatically think you are lying. Best of luck!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 6:19 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I think i would evaluate our friendship first. if you have no friendship then i think it would be very hard to tell her. I know how i would react if someone told me they had caught my son stealing! Also i believe it depends on what kind of family they truly are. If they are the type of family that their children do no wrong then you have a battle on your hands. best of luck!
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would call her and tell her it straight. "I am sorry to have to tell you this but I caught Jake taking money out of my wallet. Its not so much the money, but I thought you should know. I know that I would rather know if (your sons name) was doing this. I am sure you will take care of it and I will be happy to have Jake back over afterward."
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 6:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• i really would talk to the mom, very gently. if it was my child i would want to know and deal with it myself. i think you did the right thing by not saying anything to the boy. but really just tell the mom the truth about what you saw and just make sure she knows that your not trying to make this kid sound like hes not a good kid and that you would still like him to be able to come over. but let his parents deal with it, he will probably be waaaay to embarrassed to ever try anything like that again at your house.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• No, they are a great family. We are not really friends but I have known them through playdates for 3 years.. I'm still not very comfortable though!
    mysevenkids

Comment by mysevenkids (original poster) at 6:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would have confronted the little brat when I caught him. taken my money back; and taken him home. Tell his mother exactly what happened and why he won't be at your house for a while.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• By the way I would much rather know if my son is stealing if that makes a difference. A 9 yo stealing is a BIG deal and while I wouldn't be happy to hear about it I would be glad that someone was brave enought to tell me.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 6:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2010