What would you do if you found out your son/daughter had stole something?

I just read a question about a mom who saw a kid steal from her purse while he was at her house for a playdate, and it made me wonder. What would you do if your son was the one stealing. The kid was only 9yo so lets go with that, or your own kids age, I guess it doesn't matter.

TaraK.

Asked by TaraK. at 6:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in General Parenting

• my son was 3 or 4 when he kinda tried to steal.. it was a play phone at the front register... my sister (same age as him) has one- so he thought that it was hers. even though i told him that it wasnt, he put it in his pocket... kinda stealing it, but because he wanted to "give it back to" my sister... after that we started talking about money and how we have to BUY everything.

if my son was 9 though and stole from a friends purse or from anyone really- i'd make him give it back plus more. if he stole money- any amount of money that he has, he'll give it to the person. if he steals a toy, he'll give back that toy plus a fav toy of his... plus a butt whooping!
    Shy_Dia

Answer by Shy_Dia at 6:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I think there's a lesson to be learned at this age and possibly turn the kids thinking around. If the kid gets away with it, chances are they will continue to do it as long as no one catches them.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Well I had my niece take a toy from a store. I drove her back to the store (after it was closed) give the toy back to the manager and apologize. It was painful but it had to be done to prove a point.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:29 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Make them take it back to the store where they stole it from and give an apology!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 6:28 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My sons did steal and they had to take it back.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• That is what I thought too. If it was from a store and could be returned (like not candy that was eaten) I would drive them back to the store and make them explain it and apologize. If its a person I would make them return the money and apologize. Then they would be grounded and lose allowance until I can trust them again and until they learn that people work hard for their money and taking things is not acceptable.
    TaraK.

Comment by TaraK. (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• make him return it, or go back and pay for it... with an apology letter. my SD did and still does the crap.. but she has never been punished for it< mom sys its just a phase, and we cant prove it was her> so id be nipping it in the butt real quick!
    2boysmommy.js

Answer by 2boysmommy.js at 6:39 PM on Nov. 26, 2010