How long is bottled liquor and liquer good for?

How about wine?

Can I store this at room temperature for more than a year? I would like to buy a few specialty things, but I know I won't use them very often.

.science.mom.

Asked by .science.mom. at 6:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Liquor (rum, rye, etc.) is fine for years, because it is preservative itself.

Liqueurs with cream in them only last about a year after they're opened... until they're opened, they're fine for several years. I knew someone who opened a bottle of Bailey's after 15 years and found it had definitely gone wrong. But I've had clear liqueurs at home for 6-15 years without spoiling in any way.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:51 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Liquor will not spoil, alcohol is a preservative. Just make sure it is sealed properly after use.

Alcoholic beverages that contain dairy will not last once opened unless they are refrigerated.

Wine, once opened should be consumed within a few days- preferably the day it is opened. Make sure you properly cork it if you do store it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Some wines can last several years unopened and in a good temperature. When opened, refrigerate the bottle and use in a few days.

Answer by Bmat at 7:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• hmmm...never thought about it. I have vodka and Bacardi that has been sitting up there for 15 yrs. LOL
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:56 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Liquor (vodka, gin, rum) doesn't go bad. Some ligueurs (Ammaretto, framboise, kahlua), because they have a lot of sugar, can condense over time (meaning years) and the quality isn't as good, but they are still safe to drink. Anything with cream, like Bailey's Irish Cream, can go bad, even if unopened, if they have been stored in a hot area. You'll know when you open it because it weill pour out in clumps and smell bad.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:30 AM on Nov. 27, 2010