Would this be a bad way of potty training?

My son is two and a half and he knows what the potty is for. He has used it in the past and we talk about how poopoo goes in the potty almost every time I change his diaper. He asks to sit on the potty every once in awhile, but when he gets off he poops in his diaper. I think he just isn't realizing when he needs to go and when he is done then he knows. If I ask him if he needs to be changed he will usually tell me the truth. I am tempted to put some underwear on him and start scolding him when he poops himself. Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i agree with you on buying him some big boy underwear but no do not scold him for having accidents potty training takes lots of time and patients on your half if you scold him he may start to not tell you when he has to go in fear he will get in trouble.
    using the potty has to be come routine for you. i just bought my son elmos potty time video he loves it of course hes a big elmo fan try finding books and videos on using the potty and let him watch them.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 7:27 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I brought my son yo gaba gaba undies (his favorite) and told him not to get Plex dirty or wet. It works
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 7:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Google "toilet training readiness" and look at some of the links. Potty training takes patience and caring. No scolding or punishment. It is simply a learning process and takes time.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• All it took for my 2nd daughter to start training was to have her wear underwear all the time. She hated when she pottied in them! But no scolding, just encouragement and praise when she went in the potty.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 7:27 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• don't scold or punish. He will do it when he is ready.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 7:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Don't scold him but some knew big boy undies are in order! I was potty trained because of new cute undies if my mom is telling the truth.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 7:38 PM on Nov. 26, 2010