Overeating Infant

My one month old eats constantly. We told the pediatrician day before Thanksgiving. She said to put rice cereal in his bottle if he is eating more than 32 oz in 24 hours, but I can't remember how much she said. At the time we didn't have an actual figure - just that it seemed that we were constantly feeding. With 6 hours left in the 24-hour period he is nearly maxed out on ounces. He grew over 3.5 lbs and 3 in. in one month. He poops fine although gets pretty gassy at times. He rarely spits up - only when he won't stop at 4 oz in a feeding - we are told to feed on demand but that is too much, yet nothing else seems to console him. I'm guessing he is mistaking belly aches of some kind with hunger but I can't be sure... He is on a gentle/sensitive formula and a small percentage of breast milk. (I am trying to increase my milk but it's been a problem to breastfeed thanks to severe mastitis - I was hospitalized for four days - and pumping all the time while trying to care for myself and baby is next to impossible). He just had a bottle with 1 tsp cereal with 2 oz formula and .5 oz breast milk. He seems like he is not as fussy.

Anyone else have a baby that ate all the time etc.? What helped?

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your doctor is a quack if they're telling you to put cereal in a 1 month old's bottle! If he's growing in length as well as weight,he's just fine. If he's not spitting up,he's not eating too much.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I dont think a baby can really overeat like that. But I DID think mine ate sometimes b/c of tummy pains confused with hungar pains....

Get some milicon for gas (not sure if I spelled it right) and keep feeding him NO CEREAL yet.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:03 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• and rice this early is not really unheard of. doctors usually recommend it for infants that have really bad reflux. i dont really agree with putting it in a bottle though, but at this young age most babies still have a reflex which makes them shove the spoon right back out with their tongue.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• My daughter was that way and we just increased the ounces. I also feel that cereal is a little redic to give at such a young age. Not unheard of but a little too much. Just increase oz
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Get a new DOC!! Cereal for a 1 month old is Rediculous!! Expecially if your baby is already on gentle formula. How much does he eat at a time? Maybe if you fed smaller amounts more often OR larger amounts less often. My son is 7 months and he is off the charts for height and weight since he has been a month old. My awesome pedi told me that for the first 3 months feed your baby on demand, if he isnt spitting up alot them he isnt overeating. At 1 month old my son was eating between 28-34 oz a day, and he wasnt fat. They go thru alot of growth spurts the first few months so one day they might only want 24 oz and the next day they might want 34 oz.
    My son was 8.4 lbs at birth, at 1 month he was 12.8 lbs. He is perfectly healthy now and his formuls intake slowed down at 5-6 months when he started solids
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 8:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I was told to put cereal in a bottle when my son was 2wks old. He has reflux issues though and I'm telling you it helps even after switching bottles and different types of formula. Even while breast feeding he was spitting up SO MUCH!! Do what you feel is right and not what these people including myself say is right. A lot of people are going to dislike this but it's very true. This whole wait till 5-6months for food stuff is just a new age fad that is coming through. Our parents and their parents were fed cereal and food early on and look at them healthy and NOT OVERWEIGHT! I feed my young son cereal and it works for him, I also have made baby food for him already and he loves it! Trust your instincts as a mom. If you think you should, great! if not then that is the right choice too! What ever you feel comfortable with. You know your child better then anyone, You will know if your child is ready or not.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• If he isn't throwing up or havin any other issues, than he is not over eating. My daugher eats on demand and she seems to eat constantly as well although she is BF. She has doubled her weight in 2 months which he said doesnt usually happen until 4 to 6 months but she is happy and healthy so there is no reason to be worried about her chunky butt.
    andria82

Answer by andria82 at 10:58 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I dont get why people vote "down" on some answers! Its the peoples opinion. Anyway, i say you do what feels best for your child and what satisfies him. Only you as mommy know your child best. Not a doc or us.
    mercy928

Answer by mercy928 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard, and your doctor is an idiot. Find a new one.

only recently in the 2000's has cereal in the bottle become a choking hazard apparently. our moms and our mom's moms put cereal in our bottles and we all survived. yet somehow evolution made today's babies susceptible to choking on a bottle with cereal in it.
    Anonymous

• i think they usually recommend a teaspoon in the bottle so you were right on with that. i hope it helps!

my now 23 month old was like that at birth too. she was 10 pounds and i tell you she looked like a 3 month old, not the little tiny newborn you'd expect. twice the size of my first! anyway i couldn't keep that girl happy to save my life, she was eating 6 ounces at a month and shrieking all the time (to this day she still has a very loud cry, and a pretty hearty appetite although she's moving onto the 2 y/o picky phase) anyway i just put her in her bouncer one night when she was around 2 months old and fed her cereal straight from the spoon. lots of moms might vote me down for that but go right ahead. it worked for her. i used her formula to mix it and made it runny. she ate it and slept for 10 hours every night, and was much more pleasant during the day. good luck!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2010