Whats a good way to teach your pre schooler about shapes?

Just like the title says.

gulfcoastmom4

Asked by gulfcoastmom4 at 8:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my kids love I spy--you take turn finding the shapes
    books
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 8:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:55 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• scout_mom

• thanks
    gulfcoastmom4

Comment by gulfcoastmom4 (original poster) at 8:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• There are some youtube videos. I'm trying to remember how my kid (almost three) picked up on them, but honestly he just started naming them one day. I always take time to draw a few when we color together and to tell him what they are. And there's a Barney episode that goes over some shapes. I think, though, that it was just the constantly drawing them everyday when we colored that did it for him... He knows circles, triangles, rectangles, squares, ovals, diamonds, hearts, stars.... He does have a few books that have shapes in them.... Its all about exposure. They learn quick, they just have to be exposed to it. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• oh WOW, scoutmom, lol, I'm am going to have to check all that stuff out! thanks for posting all that!

If she hasn't posted it yet, there's a game on fisherprice.com in the toddler section that has shapes, where a shape will go across the screen and it'll tell you what color and shape it is, and the kid can push any button and it'll have another and another and another, for as long as they're interested in it. My kid loves it. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• i take the cheap route! ha! i cut sandwiches into the "shape" of the week, jello jigglers, cheese, even sandwich meats... we color pictures of the shape, find the shape in books and at the store...
    so... we basically chose a shape a week and did whatever we could to integrate it into our lives... clothing with the shape, food (like triscuts or doritos), making cookies in a certain shape... etc.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:15 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I like to draw with my kid and point out objects in every day life and discuss it. 'Look at the moon! What shape is it?'
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• We have a wooden shape sorter and my son learned all his shapes playing with that.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 12:34 AM on Nov. 27, 2010

• I also point out things in everyday life
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 7:30 PM on Nov. 28, 2010