WWYD if your dog bit a child?

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 8:32 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Pets

• I'd have to get rid of it because I do childcare.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 8:33 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• get it put to sleep
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• There's info missing from your question. How bad was the bite? Was the bite provoked? How upset are the parents? Has your dog bitten before? All these things need to be considered before taking drastic measures. Good luck
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• going thru that now. 13yo girl knocked on door and ran my dog jumped on her --no blood,no mark NOTHING.a year later she claims she was bit parents are sueing us for 50,000 for damages. Its insane. Its emotional damage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me say,my dog never hurt anyone ever,
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 8:36 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• If the dog was being abused by the child, not a whole lot. If it was unprovoked I would get rid of the dog.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I have no idea. But our dog did scratch a child. The nieghbors piled cinder blocks next to our adjoining wall. And their kids decided that one would climb over the "7 foot" wall. Our dogs ran into the back yard and one got scratch as our dog got in his face to sniff him out. No biting though.
    The stupid thing is, they piled sinder blocks up against the wall. And we have signs with red letters on our gates "DOGS ON PREMISES".
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 8:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I'd look at the situation. What was the child doing when it happened. How old the dog is. I would then have the dog checked out by a vet because there are a few diseases that can cause dogs to become aggressive. A dog will also react if it is in pain whether it was caused by the child or something else. I would also have the dog evaluated by a behavoirist if need be. Dogs do not attack unprovoked they give us many signals but the problem is that most people do not know that these signals mean and often miss them because some are so subtle. This one reason kids get bitten because they just don't know which is understandable.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It depends. Anyone else's kid, I'd get rid of her. My kid, it depends on if he cornered her or antagonized her in some way, and how bad of a bite it is. A little nip when my kid's done something wrong isn't something I could part with our pet for. But if it was unwarranted or if it was bad, I'd have to get rid of her.

We had a dog growing up, my brother was little - probably 3 or 4 I think - and she was sleeping and he went up and grabbed her ear and pulled and she nipped at the air, not knowing his face was right in hers (because she was sleeping), and she just barely caught him on the face and he got stitches (it wasn't bad, and it wasn't her fault). We kept her. But we'd gotten rid of a dog or two (given them to better suited homes) growing up that were too aggressive because of us kids, and my sister is 10 years younger than me so she was really young, plus there were lots of kids in the neighborhood. So it all depends.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:56 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• *let me clarify, lol, the stitches my brother got weren't that bad - she just barely caught him under his eye, and it was completely accidental on her part. We kept her the rest of her life, until she died of old age, and never had another issue with her. I know stitches sounds bad, but it was only a couple, if I'm even remembering right and he got any (I was only a year older than him, so I could be remembering wrong - he's gotten stitches so many times, lol, falling off of things and all).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• It really depends on how bad the bite is. And if it was provocted
    Tonesgirl

Answer by Tonesgirl at 9:27 PM on Nov. 26, 2010