Should I be concerned?

I just found out that my nephew has fifth disease. No one in my family wanted to tell me because they didnt want me to over react. They say he isnt contatious and hasnt been. I am 27 weeks pregnant and besides being mad for no one telling me sooner, I am just wondering if i should be concerned about it. I read up about it and it could be very dangerous to the baby if i catch it. I have a doctors appointment in 2 weeks. Should I be concerned about it? Should I even mention it to my doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Mention it to your doctor definitely. I would call rather than wait for the appointment. it's better to be safe than sorry.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I would mention it.. whats the harm? Especially if you are worried.
    amanda1503

Answer by amanda1503 at 8:47 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• we have dealt with fifths a few times. it is only contagious before the child breaks out with the rash - so if you had contact with your nephew in the 3 weeks before he broke out, you should try to get to your doctor sooner. but if you have not seen him and he is already broken out, you will be fine.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 8:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• And I don't think there is such thing as over-reacting when it comes to your pregnancy or children. You want to protect them to the very best of your ability, so if calling your Dr. about this as soon as you can seems like an over-reaction to some, don't worry. I would call too!
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 9:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2010