13month-old on antibiotics, new fever, motrin not helping

my 13 mo son has been on augmentin for 5 days for an ear infection. Today he got a fever; he's been acting fussy, irritable, and not wanting to play or do anything else really. The fever came down with ibuprofen (motrin) but came back. After his 2nd dose (6 hrs after 1st dose) the fever is still at about 102. (This is an hour and a half after the 2nd dose.) Should I call the doctor?

mathlady

Asked by mathlady at 8:58 PM on Nov. 26, 2010 in Kids' Health

• i would try to bring it down with tylenol every 4 hours and motrin every 6 hours. if that doesn't work i would call the dr. tomorrow
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• How is he acting? How are you taking his temp?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Taking his temp rectally (which he hates). He's asleep now, but was very fussy and not wanting to do anything but be held today. Lots of half-crying/whimpering times. He ate yogurt fine but didn't want anything more solid. Not drinking as much as usual either, although I'm trying to get him to.
    mathlady

Comment by mathlady (original poster) at 9:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• This happened with my dd. She went through two antibiotics and eventually needed a steroid to make the infection go away. The fluid in her ears were not draining properly. This happened for three diff ear infections and she eventually needed tubes. Call the dr when you can. Have one paged to change the prescription or just wait till the morning. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• You should alternate with Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours. If you are unsure, call you doctor for the dosage.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Yes you should. GL momma, hope baby feels better soon!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 10:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• 102 isn't a fever to panic about at all... and honestly your body uses fevers as a way to kill off bacteria and infection. there is no need to try to rid your kiddo of this slight fever unless it lasts for days or hits 104, or they start to act differently...
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• I wouldn't put my child on antibiotics for an ear infection. It's pointless. Just treat the fever with Motrin and Tylenol.
    "Giving children antibiotics for ear infections does little to speed their recovery while raising the risk of some side effects, according to a study published Tuesday in the Journal of the American Medical Association."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/16/antibiotics.ear.infections/index.html
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• Yeah -- this is his 4th ear infection in 2 months; we're already scheduled to talk to an ENT specialist. The antibiotics are 'cause it's recurrent. Also, I'm not worried about the fever per se -- more the fact that motrin isn't bringing it down. That's new to me (with both him and my older son, motrin has been like a wonder drug.) We don't worry about low fevers unless they're feeling bad, but he clearly is, so we dosed him -- and it's not helping, and that's what's got me worried.

I plan to call the doctor tomorrow and ask for advice.
    mathlady

Comment by mathlady (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2010

• The majority of eat infections are viral, not bacterial, and do not respond to antibiotics.
    Keep your baby well hydrated, with water and miso soup. Give him a probiotic twice a day. Do not let him have any dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:04 AM on Nov. 27, 2010